Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to give dogs a bone? And if so-cooked or raw? Knuckle or straight bone? Our store sells dog bones for 49 cents a pound-either round bones out of round steak, or these huge knuckle bones. Wanting to know if either is ok or more preferable for flash. Also, the knuckles bones have more fat/meat to them than the round bones, is that any issue?

Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I saw no one has answered yet so hear is my opinion. I do not give bones of any kind to my dogs. I have given them the knuckle bones in the past but they tend to break some small shards off . So, I avoid them all.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I don't give them to mine either because I don't like what they do to their digestive system and I've found they get a little aggressive afterwards.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
It depends on the dog how the chew etc. Keep in mind any bone with marrow is going to be high in fat because maarrow is high in fat. Not saying that fat is bad for dogs but you might need to adjust other components and the omount fed accordinglly. \

Cooked or heated bones are general harder but nore brittle so they tend to create sharp shards if the dog is able to break off peices. A dog is more likely to wear down a raw bone to a point where it can then break off piece. In all cases ingestion of piece off bone is not very safe for a dog but that said even sharp shards in most cases pass uneventfull but the rare instances that does not happen is life threatening. Bones are very hard and can eassil cause crack and broken teeth as well

!. there is no such thing a safe dog chew they all c arry some risk

2. It is iomportant to size the chew for the type of chewer the dog is not the size of the dog.

3. Any dog with a chew should be superviese.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've fed Opus entire carcasses and bones his entire life, both cooked and in some cases raw ( duck or chicken wings are often raw). It has never made any difference to his personality and he can go through a cooked chicken carcass in less than 10 mins. An uncooked hock bone can last him days. And Mikey T says it really depends on the dog.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Our two each have a cooked long cow bone that I stuff with wet food and freeze. I kind of use it like another Kong for them. But other than that they've got Nylabones they chew on everyday.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Mine get large butcher bones, mainly marrow bones, which I give raw. I do check them periodically to make sure they're not getting worn down too small or thin.
I also occasionally get chicken necks or backs and give them those raw as treats. I do NOT give the long bones (like drumsticks or wings).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts