Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice/suggestions. Spencer has always been an anxious dog, especially when it comes to fireworks & thunder. Well, since Sadie has gone to the Bridge, he has become increasingly anxious about so many things in addition to fireworks & thunder - any loud noise, kids in the neighborhood, being left alone, flies in the house (yes, you read that right, he is afraid of flies). I have tranquilizers that I have used for fireworks, but I do not want to drug him everyday. Does anyone have any experience with natural remedies for stress, or any suggestions? Also, I saw in the pet store today a product called "Comfort Zone" - you plug it into an electrical outlet & it supposedly emits pheromones that simulate what a Mama dog gives off that is supposedly comforting to her pups. Reviews I've read are good, but I am skeptical. The in-store price is $45.00. I found it online for $25.00. If it works, it would be worth it, but that is alot of money. Anyone heard of this?
Thanks, Amy.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've had lots of friends that recommend the outlet comfort zone. I've never tried but it would have been my next purchase if little Indy hadn't finally calmed down some-

Poor Spencer- it's so hard for them to lost their buddies- I bet he is still missing her :( -Wendy

T

·
0 Posts
Amy: Someone, somewhere also mentioned that you can get the DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) in a collar or collar attachment. That way it would always be with the dog, not just in one room. I'll try to find that post and add it here. I was also considering purchasing one for Twinkie. She hates thunderstorms.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have used , Rescue remedy, I think thats what is was called. The scent is to have a calmimg effect. It worked a little for the smaller fears, or at least I like to think it did.
Joan

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Rescue Remedy is a Bach Essence- It's a homeopathic therapy- I don't know if many vets carry it- but I did find it in Foster's catalogue. I took a class on these essences a few years ago- While I had my doubts- apparently it is a well known treatment for both humans and pets. I would ask your vet if he's heard of them... however- as I first thought- they are nothing but flower essences so diluted out as to actually be "nothing" in the bottle- Still haven't figured out how they work- but do recommend them to my human patients on occasion :lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
My friend used the dog comfort zone product with her chihuaua(?) and it worked perfect to calm her down. I have used the one for cats and thought it worked.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I was thinking I'd start with the DAP collar, as all of Spencer's issues are not in the house. I also bought a natural remedy to put on his food - made of mostly flower oils. I guess the stuff is worth a try.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I can't find any reports of a well-designed study evaluating the efficacy of the DAP product.

Here's a description of the Bach's flower essences. :roll:

Bach flower therapy

Bach flower therapy is a type of homeopathic aromatherapy developed in the 1930s by British physician Edward Bach (1886-1936). Bach claimed to have psychically or intuitively discovered the healing effects of 38 wildflowers. His \"discoveries\" were arrived at by \"inspirations.\" For example, while on a walk he had an inspiration that dew drops on a plant heated by the sun would absorb healing properties from the plant. He claimed that all he needed to do was hold a flower or taste a petal and he could intuitively grasp its healing powers. From these intuitions he went on to prepare \"essences\" using pure water and plants.

Bach claimed that these wildflowers have a soul or energy with an affinity to the human soul. The flower's spiritual energy is transferable to water. Devotees drink a homeopathic concoction of flower essence, mineral water and brandy in order to get the flower soul to harmonize their own soul's energy. According to Desde San Felipe y Santiago de Montevideo of Uruguay, flower remedies \"do work.\" Bach thought that illness is the result of \"a contradiction between the purposes of the soul and the personality's point of view.\" This internal war leads to negative moods and energy blocking, which causes a lack of \"harmony\" which leads to physical diseases. \"Each of the 38 flowers of the Bach system is used to balance specific emotional pains or, in advanced stages of the lack of balance, to remit physical symptoms\" [personal correspondence]. I have no idea what is meant by saying that this therapy \"works,\" but I do not see how it could be tested since its main claims are metaphysical not empirical.

Dr. Bach seems tame compared to the pioneering work of others who have followed in his petals. In California it has been discovered that the humble Forget-Me-Not is good for \"increasing your awareness of karmic relationships beyond the threshold.\" And Mugwort is good \"for awareness of dreams and conscious control of one's psychic life.\"
(Emphasis added.) Source

See also homeopathy.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thanks Betsy! I had forgotten the details on the essences...maybe it's the brandy that makes everyone feel better :wink: I can't remember all the different ones- they even will make them specific to what ever your needs are- To me there isn't anything in the bottle by the time they mix it... but some people swear by them. I found them in the natural food stores even for babies. I was surprised finding them in the Foster catalogue... but have seen them recommended on another (non- basset) forum often for anxiety in pets. I'd be curious to know what the vets think... I need to remember to ask :lol:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Brandy usually makes me feel better! :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info Betsy. I also checked and couldn't find any studies that supported the DAP products. Sometimes I wonder if the humans believe it, then they will project that energy toward the dog and treat him differently, causing changes. I once asked the vet about homeopathic remedies, and didn't get much of a response. I think it is kind of like asking a medical doctor what he thinks of a chiropractor! I have been using the homeopathic flower oils on Spencer's food & he does seem very mellow. Of course it has been 90+ degrees & there is not much to do but lay in the A/C!

B

·
0 Posts
I think I will ck. out comfort zone.Tummy has had similar issues since we bought him. Maybe it will work for him too. Tummy Boy's Mom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts