Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wife Nora and I are considering adopting a hound from the NEBR (New England Basset Rescue), but I have a few question. Lollypop is hitherto an extremely well behaved Basset (18 months old). She loves long walks in the woods off leash, and she never strays too far. She is also very obedient for a hound and I'm worried that an older guy or gal will teach her behavior more in keeping with hound-dom, as it were. I'm sure she would love a companion, although I'm equally sure she would be jealous at first as an only hound. Is worrying about another Basset changing Lollypop's behavior(s) over the top? or a real concern? Would the benefits of another hound outweigh the possible behavioral side effects on Lolly? Has anyone out there been in a similar situation, and if so how did it work out??

I know, a lot of Q's.

·
Registered
562 Posts
From what I know the simple answer to all your questions is "maybe". One option is to visit the hound you are considering adopting or just fostering them. It would give you a chance to work out any kinks. My own opinion is that you will get the results according to how much time and effort you put into it. Our Layla is adopted and was worth every minute of it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We had Ella first as an only hound and then adopted Ringo, at first they got along super well then after a few weeks I think Ella realized he was here to stay and started getting jealous/possessive of food, our bed, the couch, and us. Fast forward a few months and things have gotten much better, I think in Ella's head she went 'Ok fine, he can stay but I am STILL the favorite and I must always know what is going on and you can't go anywhere with him and not me'

Ringo is a much better behaved dog then Ella and I was hoping his traits would rub off on her but to my dismay I don't think anything has rubbed off on her :) She is still young (just over a year) so I'm hoping as show grows she will grow into Ringo ;)

I think it is a good idea to go meet the hound you are interested in with your current basset and see how it goes.

If any bad traits start rubbing off on Lollypop I'm sure with some training and positive reinforcement she'll be able to jump right back to where she was before.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
and I'm worried that an older guy or gal will teach her behavior more in keeping with hound-dom, as it were.

By the time a dog reaches 18-2yr old the personality is pretty much set in stone. A bidable (willing to please) dog will remain so. But it is important to seperate behavior from personality. It is posible for a dog learning simply by observing another dog. A dogs ability to do this is extemely variable, So could a new acquision teach lollipop to counter surf, yes especial if the behavior has an intrinsinct reward.

I'm equally sure she would be jealous at first as an only hound
I think it is extremely dangerious to asign emotional causes for dog behavior especial one so charged as jeloousy. For example resource guardiang can be explained without any need to invoke "jelousy" Also what is often mistaken for jelousy in multidog household is nothing more than rude and obnoxious behavior that is unwittingly rewarded by the humans in the household. When petting one dog and the other comes up to be petted butting in. Is the dog being jelous of the attention the other recieves or is it simply a learned behavior that the surest wat to get attention or a pat is to butt in while another is getting one? In a single dog household it is very easy to overlook these type of pushy, rude and obnoxious behaviors, In a multi dog household not so much. I would recoommend Feeling Outnumbered - How to Manange and Enjoy a Multi-Dog Household for a fair review click here

The guiding premise of the booklet is the value of teaching "polite, patient, and respectful" behaviors and making a conscious effort to reinforce these in situations where dogs might otherwise be pushy and demanding. The authors point out that, left unguided, many dogs will get pushier as they grasp for their own rewards, resulting in a mob of rude, potentially contentious dogs.
Would the benefits of another hound outweigh the possible behavioral side effects on Lolly
What behavioral side effects? You do yourself a diservice if you asign her personality etc as the reson for her good behavior, rather than you ability to train and manage the household. Now whether a second dog is a possitive thing for lollipop only you can acurately assesses.

Toughy was over two and an only dog up until that time. It was quite clear he was rather aloof and would not really benefit from a second dog. Did his personality change No. did his behavior change, no. De he engage in a lot of play or general enjoy the presence of the other dog no. It depends on the dog. In hindsight if the new dog was male he might have been a bit more responsive. As it turns out the only dogs he played with were other males. So the idea that it is best to have opposite sex pairs is not always true it really depends on the dogs involved.

My Wife Nora and I are considering adopting a hound from the NEBR (New England Basset Rescue), ... I'm worried that an older guy or gal will teach her behavior more in keeping with hound-dom, as it were
Keep in mind a rescue need not necesarily be older than lolipop. I am currently fostering an agility prospect for them that is under 1 year old. There are youngster in the system.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Keep in mind a rescue need not necesarily be older than lolipop. I am currently fostering an agility prospect for them that is under 1 year old. There are youngster in the system.
That is true, but at the same time if you are willing to take in an older dog, especially a senior dog, they are statistically less likely to be adopted so you will be doing them a big favor ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts