Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm new to basset.net and am very excited about sharing stories and experiences! I was hoping someone might have some suggestions for me.

My Maddie is close to 8 months old, I've had her since she was 10 weeks. She is pretty close to house trained but she can't hold it for very long at all! I understand that puppies don't have full bladder control, etc. But if Maddie had it her way, she would be outside literally every 10 minutes! And I don't care if we were outside 2 minutes ago, I could take her out and she'd piddle again.

Sometimes I wonder if she likes to go outside because she knows there are people out there. (I live in the Denver metro area and there's always someone walking by, no matter what time of day or night and 9 out of 10 people insist on stopping to say hi to her, she IS pretty adorable, so I understand their need!) I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on working with Maddie and developing bladder control. She lets me know when she has to go out by whining, which is fine but I'm literally taking her outside every 20-30 minutes most days! Perhaps at 8 months, this is the longest she can physically hold it? If so, older basset owners: how old is your baby and how long can they old it?

She's been cleared by the vet for a UTI, so I don't think it's anything medically related. Every time we go outside, we go for a short walk and at least one (if not two) lengthy walks each day.

Another thought to share: She would MUCH rather drink water than eat food any day! I know, Bassets are supposed to LOVE to eat. But my girl loooves water. She eats just fine, but she would rather drink 5 bowls of water than eat a bowl of food, it seems. Mind you, I don't give her 5 consecutive bowls of water - lol - just saying!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not exactly sure how many times I fill up her water each day but it's quite a few. I know dogs are supposed to have plenty of access to water, so I do this as best I can. I cut off her water in-take a couple of hours before bed time, too. And, she sleeps fine through the night without needing to go out.

Thanks again for your help! Sorry this is so long! :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
We resorted to limiting Anabelle's water intake to help with this problem since also likes to drink and drink and drink... It might be worthwhile to figure out exactly how much is required and then add some for a comfortable level and leave it at that.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Princess Buttercup is awfully similar sometimes I think she gets her feelings hurt when people don't cross a busy street to say hello! She loves to go out & will squat & pee everytime as if to say, "See I told you I had to go potty!" Even if it's just a few drips.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Charlotte is the same way. We take her out every 2hrs or so when we are home with her during the day and yet she can hold it just fine when im away at work or through the night. I think she just asks to go out if she sees people or something interesting through the window. She usually will at least take a tiny tinkle everytime we go out but man is it annoying when she wont just relax for a while.

·
Registered
761 Posts
We have the same issues with Virga. I don't think she's got a UTI but I'm not sure. What're the signs of a UTI? She's going to get her spaying done next week and I'm planning on asking the doctor about her water drinking.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We have the same issues with Virga. I don't think she's got a UTI but I'm not sure. What're the signs of a UTI? She's going to get her spaying done next week and I'm planning on asking the doctor about her water drinking.
When Charlotte had a UTI she was asking to go out a lot and straining to tinkle but nothing would happen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, Kirska! And Princess Buttercup and Maddie sound like they would be best friends! Lol funny little girls!!

From what I understand UTI infections cause your little gal to have to potty lots, but it's hard for her to do so - maybe she squats and only tinkles a little.

Also, I've heard that dog diabetes can cause them to drink lots and lots of water, thus having to potty a lot. That's not usually a problem with younger pups like ours, I'm told. Let me know what the vet says about her water drinking. Mine simply says that she's just a thirsty girl - which is probably true - but I'm curious to see what yours says.

Maddie is spayed and when she went through that, she took a few steps backward in potty training, so good luck! It didn't take long for her to get back into the swing of things, but just to forewarn you!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
By 8 months she should be able to hold it for several hours. If you don't take her out every half hour, does she go in the house? Have you tried confining her to a crate to get her used to holding it longer?

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Have you tried confining her to a crate to get her used to holding it longer?
That is part of the process and training one need to teach a puppy that they can hold it If they never need to the never learn. That said if someone is with the puppy all day chances are she is more active than a dog who has no one stay with them and just this can have a tremendous impact on the frequency of urination. It is quite simple activity makes urine. a puppy can sleep through the nigh without a problem, and if rest but not sleep go 3-4 hours but an activey puppy as little as 10-15 minutes see;

House Training Your Puppy
a 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners

·
Registered
774 Posts
One weekend when we were home all day we timed Dingus, he would come in and two minutes later he would scratch to go out. Fortunately we have a fenced yard so we just have to open the door. He drives us crazy! We really need a doggy door for him.

·
Registered
761 Posts
We really need a doggy door for him.
That's one of the things I told my husband we were going to definitely have to do when we move next. It would be easier for the dogs and us if they could go out whenever they please. And there probably wouldn't be accidents in the house anymore either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have tried confining her to a crate, and when she's in the crate, she's fine. It's when she's out that we have troubles.

And yes, if I don't allow her to go outside as often as she wants, she will go in the house (sometimes) and sometimes she'll hold it.

I don't regularly confine her to the crate because I live in an apartment and I have been "warned" about her barking - which happens when she's in the crate and I'm out of the house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts