Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering,

Bassets have almost the best nose among dogs, but when do they develop/learn to trust their smells truly?

Milley & Bailey are now 9 months old and we can see they are 'getting lost' in smells, they pick one up and they go into a different world. We have really noticed it over the last 4-6 weeks.

It's like they finally trust their noses!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I don't know, but its good to see a post from you!

Maybe someone who does tracking or field trails will see this and answer your question-

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a nine year old and a five year old and they still "get lost in smells". They go into a trance-like state :lol: which means that they will ALWAYS be on leashes if they are not in our backyard. Especially Belvedere ...if he gets a scent on a walk, it's difficult to get him to move along.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Just wondering,

Bassets have almost the best nose among dogs, but when do they develop/learn to trust their smells truly?[/b]
When I Got Toughy at 12 weeks he was literally scared of being outside. At 14 week he had to be dragged rather than walk way for home, However you could of put a blind fold on him and he would have beaten me back to the house. He was a marvalous tracker of anything to where it came from not so much on where it was going :p But for him at least it was an ability he had and used as a wee tyke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts