Basset Hounds Forum banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I was wondering that as well, but considering her age and the fact that she'd had litters before, don't you think it would have shown up before now?
I should have done my homework - I didn't realised she'd had litters before, and certainly this (vW and other bleeding disoders) quite often shows up during teething, or even clipping nails so it was just a shot in the dark. ;)

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
I should have done my homework - I didn't realised she'd had litters before, and certainly this (vW and other bleeding disoders) quite often shows up during teething, or even clipping nails so it was just a shot in the dark. ;)

Given the nature of V'wilbrandts and the fact Carrier often have reduced clotting factor and variable expresion it is still quite possible to have low to normal clotting factor early and have it dip later in life do to other factors as well. It is one reason many vets require blood work before an each and every surgery because things do change.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
OMG, i just read this entire thread, sorry we have been on/off recently and being that Worm's male we don't usually end up reading the girl stuff so we missed it.

first, SO glad that you have a new puppy to focus on! and SO sorry for the lost of Roro (Rosie), she looks so sweet and the pics during her fight thru this are heartbreaking. i'm glad there were days that she felt well and able to act normally and enjoy life during it. and so nice of you to take her in as a rescue.

i read repeatedly that you asked the vets to do whatever was needed, regardless of cost, to take care of her and make her well. can't believe the course of what happened, and how long/drawn out it was.

i don't know if you are planning to do anything after this, but i will tell you that one big questions stuck out to me initially, when Soundtrack and the other breeders here were mentioning how spay is often the first step. it sounded like the vet said that the operation would be too risky because of the presence of infection.

now that happens in people too, but when you are talking about a necessary operation, usually it won't happen only if someone is very, very sick (like ie. in the ICU).

So I could understand it if Roro was in the doggie ICU, too sick to be operated on, but it sounds like instead she was sent home w/a shot of antibiotics and maybe pill antibiotics? that doesn't sound too sick at all to operate on, at least to us. also, all the other dogs that get operated on for Pyometra also have an infection going on, so how does it make sense that infection is what would stop one from operating on her? I mean, that's how it is for every other dog w/Pyometra. It seems important to me to understand what the Standard of Care is. It seems very clear to lay people (non-veterinarians). Does the Standard of Care change from place to place? it also makes me mad personally because I think Worm would have been kept at the vet's initially; i think he has before, and he was less sick than your Roro. I am just guessing here, but if the decision was made not to operate and to try to treat medically, they would have kept him hospitalized w/daily (and probably multiple doses/day) IV antibiotics, esp if it's an infection that can get so bad so quickly. so I personally also question the initial decision to discharge home.

also, it's interesting, and i'm sure they do this different ways in different places, but we were surprised to learn (after 15 yrs of not having a dog), that our vets were very open about allowing us to be w/the dog in the back as it was being worked on. Even able to be w/Worm the whole time during a surgery, from the time he is put down, to the time he wakes up and get to watch him in Recovery. i wish you had that, to be able to see what had all taken place, what they were discussing, etc. i really think more vet places should be like this. it was very eye opening to get to see all the behind-the-scenes stuff and how they were making decisions, etc.

ugh. the whole thing makes me mad, very mad, and also very sad.

sorry you had to lose her, thanks for caring for her and loving her.

your new baby is really, really cute and i hope brings a lot of joy to you!

81 - 83 of 83 Posts