Basset Hounds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I understand, I'm certainly not blaming you for this, it's the vet's responsibility to advise you properly. Hope she's home safe tomorrow!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Our little girl is home!!!!!

After a very sleepless night (I think on all parts), we we're told to come and pick her up this morning.

The bleeding has stopped after they 'packed' her up and completely restricted movement. They think something from the operation keeps rupturing and that's what's causing the bleeds. We're allowed her home as long as she moves as little as possible to try and get this bleed to heal. Sorry if I'm not making too much sense but it doesn't really make much sense to me!!

She's back in antibiotics, another anti inflammatory (as the last one seemed to have a bad effect on her and still on the gaviscon stuff as well. We've got to take her back on Tuesday for a check up. They did say they've only seen this once before and it was in another basset (how much I believe, I'm not sure)!! There may still be some bleeding but any worries and we'll be straight back to the vet.

We've set up camp downstairs again and will be with her 24/7 to minimise any movement.

Roro did give us a few in unapproving huff's when we picked her up- certainly been told off for leaving her in the nasty vets!!!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
So pleased to read this, hope you all have a good weekend. Finger & paws crossed for you all.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
So good to hear that she's home. Please keep us posted....worry so much when they go through things like this. Prayers are going your way.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yes very glad she's home even if indignant. They are just so funny....HOW COULD YOU!!!!

I hope she will stop bleeding and get well.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not suprised that she is tired of the Vets. I would be to at this point. Hope that they have corrected the problem and she heals up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
She's been doing really well on this complete non movement, as long as we're sitting with her and rubbing belly. There is less blood in her wee every time she goes which I'm taking as a positive. We sat outside for an hour or so yesterday as the weather was so nice and I'm sure the sun has healing properties!!! I've been carrying her up and downstairs to bed in the night and she doesn't move all night. My muscles are definitely growing!!! She's also eating loads which she needs cos she's lost so much weight.

We're playing hunt the tablets- it's amazing how long she can hide them in her mouth and do a sneaky spit 20 minutes later!!!

This morning, the OH went out and accidentally left the front door open, not too bad she just went and sat on the drive and had a good scratch. Thought all was good- called her in and the little monkey ran straight up the stairs to knock on my sons door!!! Took my eye off the ball for one second and she was up them stairs like a bullet!!!! Went to get her to carry her back downstairs and we had a wee-wee protest!! Stairgate has gone back on now. I know it's not good for her, but that little glimpse of naughtiness has had me smiling since!!

Vet appointment tomorrow- I'm placing bets on "we'll continue with the antibiotics and rest" ie. we don't know what's going on but this seems to be working, unless something else happens......and them we'll probably do the same!!!!

Thanks everyone for your support, I didn't realise until yesterday that I started this thread on May 6th!!!!!! You all really don't realise how much a few words of support can change someone's mindset. When we've been really down I re-read this thread and it does put the fight back in you!!!! ImageUploadedByPetGuide1369644957.133449.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
She is so sweet, I'm glad to hear she's doing better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Forget everything I just said!!!! She's just had another massive bleed, we've taken her straight back to emergency vet.
Have just phoned another vet in Cardiff that said it would be unfair to comment on the issues we'd been having without seeing her notes but that this does sound very strange. I'm now in the process of getting her notes and taking them for another opinion!!!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
O M G!!! And I thought I found some doozie vets down here after leaving my wonderful one of 13+ years back up East. Two comments - blood in her urine would have nothing to do with a pyometra? Second Gaviscon is an antacid and I don't understand the relevance of using this?

Leaving aside the obvious - and I DO hope somebody can sort out whatever is going on - look at that sweet face ... once this is all done and dusted, I hope you will consider taking what's gone on here (once you have all the facts to hand) further. We sued a vet once (and this was back East!) after taking my Champion in for a C.Section. To this day I don't know why I did it, but I left her there expecting them to do their job (vets in the UK tend to take the dogs in, and shut the door with you on the other side - unlike out in Canada where I was always used to being welcomed with open arms when it came to treating my hounds. Surgery or not, I was THERE ) Turned out that when I phoned, expecting them to phone me, I was told one puppy had been delivered naturally, but no more and the locum was doing the C.Section THEN (and this was hours later) as she came in and found her shut down :eek: in her kennel. Result was of the 9 puppies, only 5 survived and we lost another shortly after coming home, with milk coming through his nose - they'd been trying to bottle them. So 4 surviving puppies of a litter from my Champion bitch to a visiting American Champion dog. That was her one and only litter - her uterus was shot. We did settle out of Court, but the original vet, the Senior Partner of the practice then retired and we were told he didn't normally DO surgery. Our regular vet there was on holiday.

So once you get this all back on track, please do consider taking this to Court - depending on what you find is the true picture about what's gone on here of course. Vets who mess up shouldn't be practising (with the understanding that stuff happens.) My thoughts are with you and your dear girl.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
This is a thought that has been running through my mind since soundtrack raised a few questions! Ill be picking up her notes in the morning and e-mailing them to a vet in Cardiff.

Whatever the outcome now I think mistakes have been made and it needs to be recognised so it doesn't happen again-hopefully.

I may need your advice on the legal pursuit if you don't mind, and also soundtracks. The good thing about this thread is that everything has been documented as and when it has happened.

We are for the moment concentrating on roro but I do feel a fight building inside me!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Poor, poor girl - & you - how is she this evening & what happened at the vets?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
It will be very interesting to see what the other vet has to say. I'm really sorry you and Rosie are having to go through all this.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I may need your advice on the legal pursuit if you don't mind, and also soundtracks. The good thing about this thread is that everything has been documented as and when it has happened.
Please let me know - Lisa has my personal email addy. I used a local lawyer, but had the help of a super guy (sadly no longer alive) who was a well known Keeshond breeder/exhibitor but also a vet, who jumped in to help us vs the vet who we sued. As I said, we did end up settling out of Court (not all judges are aware about things-dog and we were advised to do this if possible) and after all, how do you quantify the loss of 5 puppies (even if they were from a UK Champion imported from Canada and by a visiting Am.Ch male who had long gone back to the States) coupled with the fact that on spaying later on, it was discovered that she'd never had carried another litter to term, so shot was her uterus on one side. One thing I do remember was having to immediately make note of every step of what happened. So you are right, having it documented here should help. It's easy to 'forget' if these things go on for a long period of time.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Glad that you are getting a second opinion. I think it is time for a new set of eyes and new brain cells to look at this problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just phoned vets. Roro is very very poorly. Her blood levels have dropped to 15%. They're preparing her for a blood transfusion now. Spoke to different vet than the one this morning. One this morning said she had stopped bleeding. This one said she hasn't stopped since she went in. They've done some clotting tests to see if her blood clots and she's at the higher end of the scale for that (longer). Me and shar are devastated, it's not looking good and we're starting to think about what's best for her.

Whilst writing this the vet called
She has taken a turn for the worse before transfusion and put her on oxygen. Going ahead with transfusion. They're gonna phone between 7-8 to update. I asked if she was going to make it through the night, she said she can't guarantee it.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
OMG, I'm so sorry. I hope she pulls through.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Oh good lord. I was not expecting to hear this. I'm unsure on what to say at this moment in time. I hope he vets get to grips with it all and he picks up. This is all so so sad, I hope you are all ok.
Thinking of you all. Love lisa n joey xxx

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

41 - 60 of 83 Posts