Basset Hounds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well what a day we've had!!!!!! Last night we noticed some discharge and she was really not interested in any food.
Phoned the emergency vet and they said to bring her in this morning.
First vet had a bit of a feel around and then brought in more senior vet. She said she could feel something like a lump but couldn't figure out what as she's had everything removed. She was concerned about the lack of eating and that I was still having to syringe water into to her. They also asked about wind, which I've noticed she never really has any ( seriously we can't blame her for mysterious smells!!). She said they would scan her to see exactly what was going on. She also confirmed what id read on here about them recovering super fast after surgery so she definitely had something wrong. For the second time in a week we had to leave her there - I swear any more and I think I will be checked into the local mental hospital!!!!

The vet phoned me at 12.30 and said the scan showed some inflammation around where the ovaries were and also where the hernia was. She also said she was relived at the scan as she feared something more sinister (well hidden I thought!). They gave her some anti sickness meds and gave her some chicken to see if she could keep it down. If she could we could pick her up around 3pm. She also said she had taken bloods but wasn't going to test them as it would be an extra £50 - my answer - GET THEM DONE!!!!

Bloods all came back normal except for
Inflammation. They've taken her off the metacam and given antibiotics via needle (excellent for me as its always a bit of a fight to get her to take them and then a hunt for where she's spat it out!!!).

Went to pick her up and she came out a super excited little roro that we've really missed these last couple of weeks. Even had the basset howl!!!! (Love, love, love it!!).

Next appointment is tomorrow with same senior vet - we're having to travel as she's at a different surgery but I think it's worth it as she knows history etc.

Hoping for an event free evening. Thank you everyone for your kind words and support- I'm convinced sheer will power of all basset buddies are pulling her through xx ImageUploadedByPetGuide1368997273.665957.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thanks for the update! I'm glad Rosie is getting better, even though she's taking the long way to get there. It can be so frustrating when our beloved Bassets are ill and can't tell us what's going on. A good veterinary is priceless.

This will all be over soon, if all of Roro's buddies here have anything to say about it - we're all pulling for her and keeping her in our thoughts.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Glad she is doing good and maybe you would like to make her some home made chicken broth and or liver broth. Just boil in some water I have been told liver broth is a great healer. the gal I have gotten it from has used it on fading puppies with great success.

I have use it on Turtle when she was sick made liver broth then went to chicken broth no salt. The liver you just boil till the blood stops coming out and chicken I usually use a leg or thigh and then you can feed her the liver and the chicken meat.

Just a thought. Hope she bounces back fast poor thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Visited the vet today and she's really pleased with her progress. She says she can still feel something that she thinks could be adhesions although they are a bit higher than on other dogs. We've completely taken off metacam as I think this could have been what was causing her stomach to be upset and putting her off her food. The vet has given her an antibiotic shot again today as well as something for her stomach. She's sent us home with different meds (I think it's just like gaviscon but for dogs!!!). She asked me to give them a ring in the morning just to update on how she's been. If everything settles down we won't go to the vets until Friday to have the stitches out. Don't know what I'm going to do with myself without daily vet visits!!!!

We all went back upstairs to bed last night and we only came down once for the toilet and a drink of water (her the toilet, me the water.......possibly!!!).

Roro seems to be much more herself today. She was barking at my son this morning as he was leaving for college because she wanted play. We did have a little run around before the vet visit. Her voice is definitely coming back which I love!!

When we came home from the vet she had some of her food and then took herself off to bed (I think it's hilarious she just goes upstairs and gets into bed!!).

Thanks for the tip re. broth - Now it's time for me to face my fears and go buy some liver!!! Bleeeuuurrggghhh!!!!

Thanks for all the support, it's difficult to explain to people without basset's how much you love them. It's really nice to have the support of everyone on here - and kind of odd that we will probably never meet but you guys really have helped when we've gone through some difficult times xx

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am glad that Rosie is doing better. So is Norman. Norman not doing so good today. He asks 'Da ya know how to make the thunder storms go away?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You don't have to meet face to face to find a kindred spirit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think (fingers crossed) we've got our roro back!!! She's been much more herself today. Think she's itching to go for a nice long walk- not allowed until after stitches come out and full recovery!! We'll have to stick to the boring plod around the block for now.

Food wise- her bowl is being cleared again. I bought those little square food tin ones for my mother-in-laws dog, said I'd drop them round later...........they didn't make it, roro ate them all......oops!!

I have noticed today that she's started 'digging'. By that I mean on the sofa, under cushions and in bed trying to get under the quilt and pillows. Any reason for this??

And, thank you San, your absolutely right about the kindred spirits xx

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Great news about Roro! It's lovely to see them bounce back, isn't it?

Maddie will try to dig occasionally on the sofa or her bed, or on the rug; no idea why, unless she's trying to rumple it up to make it more comfortable, lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
And the nightmare continues........

Roro has been coming back to herself, eating, sniffing about the garden, barking like mad when we come in from daring to go out without her!!! We really thought we'd turned a corner. Today I've noticed she's been bleeding again. Checked the stitches they're all fine (more in hope that it was that than anything else). But she's spotting again....any ideas why???

The vet ran blood tests on Monday - all normal apart from inflammation
Took her off metacam- causing bloating so put her on gaviscon for dogs (not sure what its called). We actually gave her a round of applause last night when she past wind!!!!

We've got appointment in vet in the morning to remove stitches- should I wait to ask about it until then or give them a ring now? She's absolutely fine in herself, but Dr Google has fried my brain!!!

So sorry to keep asking so many questions and back up, I just trust your judgement and answers when it comes to our baby bassets, other 'dog' owners just don't get it!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I would at least call them. Definitely she should not be bleeding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Rosie was spotting blood last night but because she was fine in herself and we had appointment this morning, the vet said not to worry and see them then. I've just awoke has to what can only be described as CSI Pencoed upstairs and downstairs. Few clots, one quite big. Phoned the vet, she asked how she was in herself- ok. What colour her gums are- light pink. We're on our way to emergency vet now. Look away if your squeamish
ImageUploadedByPetGuide1369373509.682340.jpg
ImageUploadedByPetGuide1369373521.381321.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
They've taken her in again. They're gonna do blood tests- which I told them to do the other day, but apparently these are different ones. Can I be anymore specific than "run every test, don't care about cost"?? They're gonna scan her again. They don't seem so worried about blood coming out, more if there's any going any other way in her.

2pm update:
Just spoken to vet. After we left she had another massive bleed. They've scanned her and found another blood clot in her abdomen. She is bleeding internally but they don't know where from. Their sending bloods off now but they won't be back until tomorrow. They're keeping her in overnight to monitor her. We can phone again at 5 for an update.

We are really upset at the moment. I really thought that they would say she had expelled what she needed to and give us antibiotics or anti-inflammatory or something and we could bring her home. Don't know what to do with ourselves for the next 24hours!!! Devastated is not the word xx

·
Registered
653 Posts
Norman is sending healing drool and tryin to cross his short stubby little legs. Norman says enuff is enuff. this is not the correct way to get attention. Ya'll are in thoughts and prayers. Put some hydrogen peroxide on the bloody comforter. I learned that trick when I was an EMT. H.P. takes blood out of whites.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Honestly, I've been disturbed from the start at the way this case has been handled and the seemingly laissez-faire attitude of the vet. If you're not seeing improvement really soon I think it might be worthwhile to get a second opinion.

I'm not a vet, but I've dealt with pyometra four times and this all just seems wrong and abnormal to me. I'm concerned that there may be problems from waiting so long to do the surgery, and the fact that they apparently did not give her prostaglandins (daily shot) along with the antibiotics to force her to expel the infected material.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Oh my gddddddd yes I would be in a panic!!!! I agree with Sountrack they need to be taking this thing serious. I have never dealt with it so will just go with those who have.

Good luck to you and get better Roro.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Pyometra (Canine) | Petside

It is a serious disease requiring emergency surgery to remove the infected uterus (while medical treatment is sometimes attempted for this disease, it is often ineffective, and can be dangerous)
The only dependable cure for pyometra is emergency surgery to remove the infected uterus (the ovaries are removed at the same time). Before performing surgery, the veterinarian will do a physical examination and x-rays or ultrasound to confirm an enlarged uterus, and blood tests. If the dog is not well enough to withstand anesthesia, IV fluids and medications will be administered until stable. After surgery, the dog will stay in the hospital on intravenous fluids, antibiotics, and pain medication, and will likely be discharged with antibiotics and pain medication for home administration.
The majority of dogs with pyometra do well with prompt surgery. However, surgical delay can result in death from uterine rupture and systemic infection.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Have followed the thread and just want to say our thoughts are with you and Rosie! Harvey is sending healing drool kisses your way!
Not having any experience with anything similar myself I can't really tell but I agree with Soundtrack that the vet could be a bit more serious and not "just see how it goes". The same attitude led to a miss diagnosis with Harvey and we changed vets! Demand all tests and care possible! You are paying for the treatment so it's your call what hey should do or not.
Strength to your whole family and especially little Rosie! xxx

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Soundtrack, I do hear everything your saying but right now we're just focusing on getting our girl back home where she belongs with us. Hopefully, when this nightmare is over we can go back and ask the questions that should have perhaps been answered in the first place. We have had alternative vets recommended to us to which we will be looking in to.

I want to thank everyone for thinking of us as even a little thought boosts our spirits and gives us that extra bit of hope we need when perhaps sometimes we let the doubts creep in.

She has settled in the vets this evening and I'm told the bleeding has stopped. I think this may well be the longest night of my life - the house doesn't feel right without her. I'm not too sure how I'm supposed to sleep in a bed with no basset?? Are your legs always supposed to go to the bottom??

Thanks again guys xxxxxx

21 - 40 of 83 Posts