Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So we're going through hell - Rosie was due to be spayed on April 8th and of course she went into season the week before. She bled for about 4 weeks but the vet said it was all good. We re-arranged the op for June 19th.

A couple of days ago Roro wasn't being herself. She started being picky with her food, which at first we thought was just down to her being completely spoilt! Yesterday, she was really slow on her walk and was just plodding along. When we got up this morning there was blood on our bed just like when she was in season. I came downstairs and noticed she had wee'd three times in the conservatory (which hasn't happened for months). I phoned the vet for an emergency appointment.

The vet was really good and thoroughly examined her. He confirmed our worst fears he thought she had Pyometra. Our one shining light, because she had discharge it's likely to be Open Pyometra. He thought the best course of action was to put her on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds. I asked that he give her an anti-biotic shot to get her started. I've got to wait for her to eat something so i can give her the anti-inflammatory - she's not interested at the moment.

That was about an hour ago, and Roro has just thrown up over her bed. We are so worried about her - any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated xx
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,042 Posts
Since you were going to spay her anyway, I don't understand why the vet didn't simply do that instead of mucking about with antibiotics. The only reason I would do that is if I had a girl that I *really* wanted pups from in the future, otherwise spaying immediately is the safest and quickest remedy, I've seen them go from near death to normal within 24 hours of surgery. Spaying fixes the problem. I would take her in and do it now, today, and in fact if she is acting sick I'd take her in NOW. Pyo can make them very sick very fast and can kill quickly.

When Pepper had it I watched her go from "not eating" to "extremely ill" within hours - when I took her to the vet about lack of appetite even the vet thought it was a gastro issue until Pepper started spewing discharge all over the table. From that point I could see her deteriorate as we did the x-ray and then waited for the vet to prepare for surgery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,539 Posts
I agree with Soundtrack. Although sometimes a pyo will resolve with antibiotic treatment, this is normally only considered if you have a bitch you want to breed from. If you are in the UK (sorry can't remember) even if you wanted to show her, you could as you can show spayed bitches here, with KC permission.

If she were mine, I'd get her spayed. BUT having said that, it is a Bank Holiday weekend, and he may not have full staff back up until tomorrow which is perhaps why he decided to put her on antibiotics to hold her until they can schedule her surgery? Did he say this?

I also don't know why you had to 'lead' the consultation (ask him to give the antibiotic in injection form to kick start the treatment) Most vets would automatically give antibiotic AND antiinflammatory injections, and send you home with tablets.

Yes, open pyo is obviously 'better' because with a closed one, all the average owner would see is the dog being off-colour, with an enlarged tummy area (from the build-up of pus that's trapped in there). But overall what's going on now is basically poisoning her whole system and antibiotic treatment or not, the longer that remains without the spay surgery she needs, the more likely she's going to be in serious trouble - and could take far longer to recover, if she does. :(

I hope you can get her operated on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys x

We've always planned on getting her done as she is a rescue and has been bred from many times. We got her from a puppy farm.

I do think that they didn't want to operate on her because its a bank holiday. She's finally having a sleep now so I'm going to monitor her and take her back to our usual vet tomorrow as this was an emergency one. If anything develops I will be back to the emergency and demanding they operate!!!


Sent from Petguide.com App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Yikes! With Pyo I always thought it was one of those - my hair is on fire situations (like bloat) -and immediate spay. Me personally I wouldn't wait. Bank holiday or not I would definitely get her to an e-vet.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,042 Posts
Yikes! With Pyo I always thought it was one of those - my hair is on fire situations (like bloat) -and immediate spay. Me personally I wouldn't wait. Bank holiday or not I would definitely get her to an e-vet.
Depends how bad it is....With Sally Anne we tried to treat it for a few days before she got so sick we had to spay her, but with Lucy we started treatment in the AM and had her spayed in the afternoon, she went downhill so fast. Pepper was off her food for a couple of days with no other symptoms before I brought her in to the vet. The only one I successfully treated was Melody, and I caught it VERY early.

But yeah, for a pet that you don't have plans to show or breed, I would simply spay immediately, it's safest that way. And usually by the time a pet owner notices "something wrong" (because they're not looking for it) and takes the dog to the vet it's already pretty serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
After a restless night (on my part), we went to our vet this morning. The antibiotics seem to be working and he's advised that we clear the pyo up and then spay. He did say to spay with the infection is a riskier operation and as she's responding to the antibiotics to wait. Rosie has been sleeping on and off today and started eating this afternoon (only her favourite things of course!). This evening she seems a different dog, I went out for five minutes and when I came back she came bounding up to me. We've even walked across the road for her to have a sniff around the green opposite. I really believe that we have caught it early, thanks in part to the information I read on this forum. It really does help to have a second, third, fourth etc opinion!!!! ImageUploadedByPetGuide1367953907.918732.jpg
Thanks everyone xxx


Sent from Petguide.com App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after a week of antibiotics we went back to the vet and he said she needed to be spayed as there was still pus coming out.

Took her in at 8.30am and she tried to do a runner(she's not stupid!!). Had a phone call at 10.30 to say they had just examined her before the op and discovered another lump. They said it could be a tumour or a hernia but they wouldn't be sure until they opened her up. I told them to do whatever was needed to fix her. I was told to phone at 2.30 to see how she was.

When I phoned they said she had had the op but was still very sleepy and to phone back at 5pm. I only spoke to the receptionist so she couldn't give me any more info.

I phoned at 5 and spoke to the nurse. She again said she was still very sleepy but the lump was in fact a hernia and the uterus was pushing through and causing a hole. However they fixed her up and removed everything that was needed to be removed. Her insides were full of pus.

I picked roro up around 6 and bought one of those inflatable collars as I don't like the big cone ones. She's been mainly sleeping since she got back and isn't interested in any food or water. I've set up a bed downstairs for both of us when she wakes up she has a little grumble and them goes back to sleep.

As you can imagine I've had probably one of the worst days of my life and realise how precious my little roro is to us. I'm clinging on to a previous comment about how they bounce back after surgery and really hope this is the case.

I do have one question, what do I do about taking her to the toilet? Should I wait until she gets up of her own accord and take her outside or shall I just wait and see if she goes herself in the house (all wooden floors so no problem)??

Any post op advice would be truly appreciated xxx ImageUploadedByPetGuide1368565247.516234.jpg


Sent from Petguide.com App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,926 Posts
given that food and water are general withheld prior to and post surgery it would not be unusally for her not to have to do anything till morning when the effect of the anesthetic have worn off
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,042 Posts
She's still feeling the effects of the anesthetic, she should feel better in the morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We woke up at 5 this morning and even had a little tail wag!! Although the little monkey had managed to take her collar off!!! She's been snoozing on and off throughout the day but definitely wants to be cuddled when she's laying down. At first she wouldn't drink anything but I started wetting her gums with water and eventually she had a drink from her bowl. She's eaten some chicken throughout the day. She went outside to have a wee and then wandered round the corner for a poo. At this point I almost cartwheeled!!!! My neighbours think I'm nuts, but I was just so excited!!

She has also mastered the art of hiding the antibiotic in her mouth for at least 10 minutes before trying to slyly spit it out!!

We're just settling down now for our second night of sleeping downstairs, however roro has plonked herself in my bed and I think I'll be sleeping in hers tonight!!! To be honest though I think hers might be more comfy!!!! ImageUploadedByPetGuide1368650157.157546.jpg


Sent from Petguide.com App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
I'm so glad she's better! You are an excellent nurse, and who cares what the neighbors think!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Day 3 post op:

Roro is still refusing water until I start to put it on her gums and give her a little bit through the syringy thing. After that she does take some from her bowl. Food has been an issue the last 2 days, she's only been having little bits of chicken.

My partner came home today after being away all week and roro did give little squeals of excitement, obviously super excited!!! We talked about the food issue and I was sent to the local supermarket for sirloin steak!!! If anything was going to entice her surely that would!!

It worked!!! The OH fed her the steak and she happily ate away (cooked medium as she so desires!!). I've come to the conclusion that perhaps she hasn't been taking food from me because when I've been giving her anything it's been the nasty antibiotic tablets.

(She's also stolen a piece of chicken from OH's plate - madras???!) she loves her some spicy stolen chicken!!

We've extended the downstairs bed, so there will be 3 of us downstairs tonight....1 roro on a double mattress and 2 humans in a dog bed!!!!! We'll prob be here until stitches come out!!!

How can us humans love these little fury monkeys so much????? I truly believe I wouldn't have felt like this for another dog, but a basset??? It truly is unexplainable!!!! ImageUploadedByPetGuide1368822153.165692.jpg

Much roro love to you all xxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
Maddie is the first dog I've had in over 30 years, and both Mr. San and I are completely smitten. Other people clearly think we're off the deep end with our Basset, but the people who have her parents and siblings understand completely, LOL!

I will admit I was reluctant at first to bring a dog into our lives, due to sheer lack of experience, but now neither of us can scarce remember how our lives were before Maddie joined our little family.

I'm taking the long way around, but what I'm trying to say is that I would do exactly the same as you are doing with sweet little Roro, and I understand exactly how you feel.

There really is something special about Bassets; how can we not completely lose our hearts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm the same as you, complete lack of experience with dogs.

In fact, had I asked on this forum should I get a basset I'm sure the response would have been a big no no. Having very little experience of dogs throughout my life I've tended to be more the dog sitter when family go away!!

We started looking at getting a puppy mainly because our two boys are 17 and 18 and about to fly the nest to university. It was the OH that suggested a basset because they looked 'cute'. (I can hear the cries of despair of everyone on the forum!!).

In the process of looking roro or Rosie as she's really called came up on the pets4homes site. We wanted a boy, she was a girl. We wanted a puppy, she's about 5 or 6. But I truly believe she was meant for us. We phoned the then owner and he said that he had a couple coming to see her the next day but if they didn't want her he'd give us a ring to meet her. Turns out the couple that were going to visit had broken down and couldn't make it. We were up there to see her within half an hour!!! Shes definitely ImageUploadedByPetGuide1368905558.108228.jpg destined for us!! And there begins the biggest love story of my life........

I believe your either basset owned or you should get a dog that is actually a dog.

Basset's are a breed all of their own and she has fully trained us. Obviously we have a few slip ups but she gives us a little phoof to let us know what we've done wrong!!!

That's why i love this forum, everybody understands what I'm going on about, we're all basset owned and wouldn't have it any other way xxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Have been following this thread, and my heart goes out to you and your Rose. We lost my daughter's Sheltie to a closed pyrometra a few years ago.

Your Rosie looks so much like my Rose that it warms my heart. You are obviously devoted to her, and I hope she gets well quickly. Keep us posted! She is a sweetie!
 
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Top