Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Want to share two great new games I just found for Belle and Gunther.

The first some of you may have read about in Whole Dog Journal - they are these awesome wooden puzzles from Nina Ottoson. The are unbelievably fantastic for mind-workouts - my guys LOVE THEM! It's very interesting how each dog develops his/her own technique for working the puzzle - and how long it actually takes to get really proficient - meaning they are great for the long-run. I HIGHLY recommend anyone looking for interactive games to play with their dogs - check it out - it seems to be the only thing of its kind out there in the interactive arena. We have the Dog Brick, the sliding one (forget it's name) and the Tornado - all really good and made really well. Here's the link:

http://pawlickers.com/products/manufacturers/nina-ottosson

Second, game --- mouse on a rope. Just happened to buy a new toy for my cat (a wand w/string and mouse attached) and Belle went nuts. It has to have real fur - in other words, she doesn't chase after stuffed toys - only the mice BUT the workout she gets is unbelievable. Heart pumping determination on her part to get that mouse. Which she catches every time then walks around with it in her mouth for 30 minutes letting me take it out so she can chase again. Then I let her tear it up - the mice are cheap - while she's chewing I still make the mouse move, like it's really alive so it tries to get away and she gets it under her paw. If I had any technology, I'd take a video for you to see it in action. I've never seen a dog love a toy this much. She only gets a workout this hard at the Bunny Hunt - not even her dog park outings are this rambunctious. Supervised play only of course! She just happens to mostly spit out the fur and always let's me take the mouse away. Gunther on the other hand, gets the mouse in his mouth and bounces across the yard with it. Very cute.

Anyway, just wanted to share my new finds!

Susan O.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Those are really neat.

~Heather

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
They look lovely. :) Is there anything that would prevent a dog from just chewing the things apart to get at the treats?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pricey yes, but very well made and the entertainment value is well worth the cost - we play everyday.

Also, per chewing - they are for supervised play only - and it's amazing how they do figure it out. If chewing happens, I'd suggest showing your basset what to do - wouldn't let them chew it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yow! Really pricey. They look wonderful--let's hope they get more reasonable, or someone comes up with a knock-off.. :rolleyes:[/quote]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts