Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this looks a little long, but any help or insight is appreciated. My Benny will be 10 tomorrow. He has had some issues lately that for some reason the hospital and the vet could not determine the cause. This started about 2 months ago when I noticed that suddenly he was trembling and had started to drool. (not basset drool, but salivating). This came on rather quickly and I took him to the hospital. (I am in Tampa and the best one in the area is FVS). The only obvious visible thing was that he had a small quarter sized cyst which had ruptured many many months ago. The vet would clean it up and tell me that it would heal etc and not to worry about it. Even while at the hospital they did not seem to think the wound was an issue. Upon arrival at the hospital his temp was a whopping 107. They gave him oxygen and fluids and began testing him for everything... full blood work, xrays, checked his heart, all of his organs looked great, they said his blood work looked exceptional for a dog his age. They determined it was an infection of unknown origin and they sent me home with antibioitcs and he got better.
This brings me to yesterday and today. Yesterday he was fine all day. Last night he started trembling again. He drank water and nosed around in his food and he went to bed. This morning, he was shaking again, salivating a little bit, then it became apparent that his breathing started to become difficult and I could tell his stomach must have hurt because he was tightening up when breathing. I took him to the hospital a few hours ago. Temp is normal, but his heartrate was over 200. They did a quick scan and he is bleeding into his abdomen. They told me the surgery is 50/50. He has some kind of mass- could be his spleen which could be removed or it could be the liver which would be the worst- The surgery is about $5,500.00. I do have insurance, but as much as this is breaking my heart, I dont want to put him through this and hang on to him selfishly. He is in critical care now and I am waiting for my husband to get home which is in the next 2 hours so we can say goodbye. Anyone with insight? Thoughts? Is this right for him? I am at my desk and he is usually right under my feet which makes writing this even worse. I am devastated.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I also sent you a private message.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'm sorry and I don't have an answer. It is a terrible decision to make- I just sent my 13 year old brittany, Abigail, to the Bridge this week. She had cancer and had become worse over the weekend. I went back and forth for days but ultimately let her quality of life be the deciding factor. You must do what is best for you and your Benny. I wish there were an easy answer but we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers- Wendy

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It's clear that you want to do what' s right for your dog and have him in your heart. . Whatever decision you make, it'll be the best one. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
This process is always tears your heart apart, no matter how many times some of us may have gone through it before. My thoughts are with you.

Wendy, condolences on your recent loss.

:(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all

I am home and I have been trying to function.. trying to take my mind off of what happened. He is gone. He seemed to get sick so fast in the past 24 hours that I barely had time to process what was going on. My heart is just broken. He stayed in critical care this afternoon while I waited for my husband to get home so we could go to euthanzie him together. I held him and I told him that I loved him. They let us bring his white fluffy bed into the hospital tonight and we laid it on the floor of a small private room. He had been given fluids and some pain medicine and he wagged his tail and would not let me out of his sight as soon as he saw me. I can only imagine that he thought I was finally come back to get him. We spent about an hour with him. I brought my hounds glove and I gently brushed him while he laid there. The vet came in with a few needles and he drifted to sleep within seconds. Why do I feel so helpless and broken... this is terrible. I brought his bed home and I am going to lay next to it tonight so I can feel close to him for just a little longer. Thank you all for the kind words and prayers. Bev.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I am so, so very sorry for you. The thought of you lying near Benny's bed for comfort has brought tears to my eyes and broken my heart.:(

You did the right thing in easing his suffering. Take comfort in that you loved him, he loved you, and he had a good life with you.

Take care.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am so very sorry for you lost. My heart is breaking right along with you. I am sure you left a little bit of your heart and your soul with Benny, and I am so sure that Benny left a little of his heart and his soul with you.

Only time can bring you comfort now. I am sure Benny is so happy at the Bridge and his nose is just a sniffing away with the other hounds that are there too. Benny had a great life with you and I am sure he is as much in love with you as you are with him.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I am also so very sorry for you and I know what you're going through as we lost a beloved Basset last year to Cancer, despite having several operations and all the treatment available, she sadly did not recover. :(

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am so, so sorry. What a heartbreaker. You did the right thing for Benny but it was so awful for you. Please accept my condolences

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It's always a hard decision to let our friends go but it is a gift to them that you can ease their suffering.
Your post made me so sad, sleeping next to his bed for comfort. Just brought tears to my eyes.
One day I think you will be able to smile and laugh through all your tears, remembering all the happy times you had with Benny. If you need to talk about him, we are all here for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. The decision you just made is such a tough one. We love them so, miss them so, want the best for them. I hope time will quickly ease your pain and leave you only with the memories of joyous times together.

·
Registered
275 Posts
May the Creator of all Creatures bring you comfort during this time. I recently experienced the same situation so the hurt is still close to the surface and I am grieving with you. May you find comfort in the happy memories you have of Benny!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm so very sorry to read about Benny.

When I read about him, something came to mind that I just read, that might explain his symptoms.

Ehrlichia Infosheet by Lynda Adame

I'd been reading up, since my new rescue has apparently been exposed.

I know this comes far too late to help in any meaningful way, but I'm hoping that having some idea what might have been the cause might bring a bit of peace.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I feel like the houndies on this forum are part of my family so whenever someone experiences a loss, I feel it too. Again, so sorry for your loss and pain.

~Heather

·
Registered
103 Posts
So sorry for your recent loss, and that you may find comfort in all the great memories you had together.
When Mr. Stimpy passed last summer, it was devastating to watch him completely shut down right in front of my eyes. He was the first dog I ever owned, (I grew up living in an apartment.. no dogs or cats allowed), but I can remember crying with my husband, and all of the sudden breaking out into hysterical laughter, cause we thought of a completely ridiculous memory of him.
I still have photos of him hanging on my walls, and often when I walk by, and catch a glance, my eyes still well up with tears (they are now) and I always send him a "shout out" in my prayers, and tell him I will ALWAYS love him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts