Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. My husband and I have a female basset. Her name is Charlie. She was born on 12/28/2009 and is currently 20 weeks old! I grew up with a basset, Maggie, but she was 1.5 years old when we got her, so this is my first time raising a basset puppy:)

We got Charlie when she was about 10 weeks old and she weighed 6.5 pounds. I always thought she seemed tiny. She is currently 20 weeks and weighs 16.5 pounds. She has gone from gaining half a pound a week, to a pound a week, to a pound and a half a week, and back down to a pound a week. (I think she just finished her rapid growth phase).

I know you can never guess a basset's weight, but I am just curious to see if anyone can tell me if there basset was about that weight at those ages I listed. And if so, how much does your adult basset weigh? The basset I grew up with was on the smaller end, only about 38 pounds. I wonder, at times, if Charlie will even get to that.

I know a lot of factors are involved, but I am just curious to hear about what other basset hound puppies weigh at certain ages. If you could share, that would be great! I posted pictures of Charlie, the most recent being her at 18 weeks!

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do like smaller bassets. (Although, really, any basset is impossible NOT to fall in love with!) So, we'll see about Charlie. I am sure she could have some crazy growth spurt or just stay tiny. Hig4s, you are right about it being a lot easier to wash a smaller basset hound. Charlie doesn't care for baths too much, (my previous basset, Maggie, never did either!)

Scully, that is cute that Ninja was born 2 days after Charlie. Is Ninja starting to lose a lot of baby teeth? We have been finding Charlie's teeth all over!

I would say Charlie is pretty evenly proportioned. It's just nice to hear about other bassets!

She sure is a cutie though. Stubborn, of course, but very much lovable. She does like to whine though! Oh! Also, she has yet to "howl". I just love the basset hound howl. I joke with my husband that when she first howls, it will be like her first word. I know basset hounds are known to be noisy, but I just love that howl of theirs:)

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vb3- your post was pretty funny. I could just imagine your two bassets tugging.. but if they were each 70 pounds, I could only imagine how hard that would be to walk them!

SophieB- I am sure that Charlie's ears are okay! She plays with them all the time. She will just be playing with a toy then roll over and start playing with her ears. And as for the whining, she just sometimes whines when I hold her because she wants to be out and about playing. But since she is a puppy, I force her to rest.. and I guess I should admit, she is only a puppy once and I won't always be able to hold her like that:) So she is just whining because she wants to be playing. Although, she really rarely struggles to get out of my arms.. she'll toss and turn maybe once and then just continue to whine while she is in my arms! Your dogs are adorable!! They probably are a little bigger, but they sure are cute!! Thanks for all the fun videos. Bassets sure do make for entertainment! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.