Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone! I am new here! My name is Leann and my Basset's name is Maggie! She is 3 months old and full of energy!!!! I just adopted her from an adoption agency that I had a lot of health issues with.

In trying to keep everything short, I will just say that when I brought her home on 5/27/2010, she had Kennel Cough. She went to the vet and weighed in at 7.13lbs. They took her into quarantine for 10 days and when I got her back on the 6/7/2010, she STILL weighed 7.13lbs! 3 days later on 6/10/2010, she had a vet appointment where she weighed in at 9.35lbs. The vet told us to put her on a diet. (It's the adoption agencies vet who I HATE and I don't agree with!!! She also came out of quarantine with this vet with ear mites, coccidiosis and RINGWORM!!!) I don't think that at 11 weeks she should have weighed 9lbs!!! She is now 3 months old and weighing in at 13.2lbs.

Does anyone on here have any suggestions for putting some weight on her? She isn't anywhere as skinny as she was when I got her, but she is still "ribby" and I would like to have some more weight on her! Other than the health issues (which have been medically treated by MY vet) she is generally healthy and active. We are potty-training and leash training smoothly. I am just curious if someone might have some suggestions with getting weight on Basset's. Also, she is a "grazer" instead of a "horker" with her food. She would much rather nibble throughout the day than have specific feeding times. And, she LOVES treats..all kinds of treats, but that's just being a Basset!;) I don't know if that helps or not.

All in all, if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it! And also, I would like to say hello to everyone and thanks for having us here!

Leann and Maggie (Westman's Rollynn in the Ryver):D

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
puppy weight issues

To Mikey_T....I don't think I am really overreacting. By "ribby" I mean, ALL ribs showing and hip bones protruding. She is skinnier than the dog in the top pic you provided. I have an appointment set up for July 1st for her 4th set of puppy shots and exam with MY vet. I am going to see what she says. I definitely don't want her obese but, I think she is seriously underweight!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am glad she is with us too! She had a rough start at life but now she has a loving forever home! She has two kitties to chase (one being a 1 year old Savannah kitty and 1 a fat old regular calico house cat) and 2 guinea pigs to adore. She really is the icing to the cake that makes our family (until my hubby and I decide to have kids). I would get Maggie to send a howl and a drool back but, luckily, she hasn't figured out how to howl yet!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Protein content is 27%. I allow her to "graze" for only certain times of the day, since w are potty training. I am trying to keep her on a schedule. Here is her schedule:
8am-wake up and potty
8:10am-food gets put down
8:30am or whenever she is done eating, she goes outside for potty time again.
8:30am-10:30am-playtime, potty time, being a dog time
9am-food is picked up
10:30am-potty time before mommy has to go teach
12:30pm-potty time
12:45pm-return from outside and lunchtime, food is put down
1:15-1:30pm-potty time and lunch is picked up
1:30pm-5:30pm-playtime, potty time, being a dog
5:30pm-we bring her to the park and play with her, let her run around, sniff, whatever...
5:30pm-8pm-playtime, nap time, being a dog
8pm-feeding time, food is put down
8:30pm-food is picked up and she goes outside to potty
9pm-12am (or whenever we go to bed, 12am at the absolute latest) playtime, nap time, being a dog
3am-potty time (we have an alarm set and get up and bring her outside

I checked out the Royal Canin chart and she is between a 1 and 2. Maybe I am just paranoid because all the pics I see of puppies, they have puppy bellies and she clearly doesn't have that! I am just worried because I want her to have the BEST life possible and I feel bad when I can count all of her ribs! She has had such a rough life and I want to make it better for her!
I have noticed that since I have had her, she is definitely gaining muscle tone! She was so weak and had NO muscles when we got her. She would play, but for only short spurts and then she would get too tired and want to nap. Now, as I currently write this, she is running circles around the dining room table playing chase with the cat! I can see muscle definition in her legs and chest. Like I said, I may just be paranoid. I am going to take progress pics tonight and post them in an album so everyone can see! Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it

Leann and Maggie

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SophieB...your pups are definitely bigger than Maggie! They have bellies! Your babies are ADORABLE!!! I have some pictures in an album but I have still yet to figure out how to post them here! Also, its her 3rd set of puppy shots! I was distracted when I was writing that because Maggie was all over the place! Maggie is red and white as well. She has a BFF, my Savannah Kitten, Othello. They are wrestling as I speak....its hilarious!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update on Maggie....Sorry, it's been a while! We moved to a new house and I have been super busy getting moved and all the animals adjusted to having a big house and yard! Anyway! I took Maggie to her Dr appointment last Thursday (7/1/2010) and she is 100% healthy. All of the ailments she had are gone. The ringworm is gone! I asked the vet about her weight and she said that Maggie is on the skinny side, but its not the scary skinny. She said Maggie should gain weight quickly now that she is healthy. She weighed in at 13.6lbs. She also said that what I am feeding her is fine and she will eat when she is hungry.

I am so glad she is healthy and happy. With our new house, she has a fenced in yard to run around and play in. She LOVES exploring all the new scents and smells!

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Also, I finally got a chance to get online and submit her registration with the AKC, so now she is official!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.