Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Charlie, our now 6 month old basset is petite like your Maggie. She currently weighs 21 pounds. At 11 weeks, Charlie actually weighed in less than Maggie.. only about 7.5 pounds. She was also pretty "skinny" at that time. Although, the vet said she was healthy! Even though you could see her ribs, she still looked healthy. She wasn't the best eater at that time either. We switched her food from Eukanuba to Iams and she just never really seemed to be excited to eat when we fed her Iams. (That is just her personal preference, ha! She is back on Eukanuba, but we are actually going to be switching her over to Fromm.. a local Wisconsin brand.) At that time, she sometimes skipped breakfast and when she did eat, she was very pokey about it. Now she is back too being very very excited when it comes to meal time. She also is filling out more or less. She isn't skinny but she doesn't really have much fat on her either if that makes sense. (You can check out pictures in the photo gallery).

I guess my encouragement to you is that I am sure Maggie is fine and I am sure she will catch up with her weight sometime soon. Maybe, though, there would be a food she may like better? Just a suggestion. I am sure she is just a joy and I am really glad to hear that you nursed her back to health.. even if your first vet couldn't do so!

Oh.. and the basset I grew up with was named Maggie. (Maggie May). I love that name for a basset:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think Smitte21 was "hi neighboring" me because I mentioned how the food we fed Charlie was made in Wisconsin and he mentioned how he lived between me (Madison) and Milwaukee. Although.. Louisiana isn't too far.. just 600+ miles. That can still be a neighbor, right? ha.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Josie is growing up! Do you have anymore recent pictures of her? Sounds like Josie will be even tinier than Charlie. I really think Charlie won't get to be more than 30-35.. which is tinnnyyy for a basset. But! I wouldn't doubt that Josie will be a whole lot less. Good luck to Josie with her surgery. Charlie was playing that night as though nothing had happened.. we made sure she took it easy though!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Josie's Dad- thanks for posting the pictures! Josie is growing up and really looking like a basset. In one of her earlier pictures-the one on the beach, the angle of the pic gave her a slight dachshund look to her. She definitely is maturing into a beautiful basset!

Maggie's Mom- I am glad to hear things are better too. She is a beautiful dog! How old is she now and what is her weight? Has it gotten better?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.