Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today Hank went to a new vet for a check up and estimate on eye enucleation. Well, when I told him Hank was about.. Uhh(can't remember exactly how old he is) 15 or 16 weeks old, the vet said, "Naww, really? He still has all his puppy teeth..and from the looks of his teeth, he's about 11 or 12 weeks."
So he told us that since Hank is already having health issues(just his eyes), there may be other problems with his development. He said there could be something wrong with his liver and so we paid to have blood work done.

15 minutes later and the bloodwork was done...

There were no abnormal marks on the blood work that could indicate there being anything wrong with his liver, just an abnormal blood platelet count because of the vetprofen for pain. He said that some of Hank's other medications could be causing his growth development to not be on track, but none of his medications should be stopping him from getting his adult teeth if he's 15 weeks old.
Question: Hank should have lost his teeth at 12 weeks, right? what else could be causing him from getting his adult teeth? :/ Could he possibly just be a late bloomer?

I'm so worried about Hank! I know he's happy with me, I just want him to grow up being healthy, too..

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I swear, vets like to panic people.

Normally I would have said puppies are teething from 4-7 months. To be on the safe side, I went and looked it up. The two basset books that mentioned teething said it could start as early as 14 weeks, and at "about 4 months". Although a couple of websites I checked said it could start as early as 3 months, most said teething starts around 4-5 months and can last up to 8 months of age.

So unless he doesn't show any signs of losing puppy teeth within the next few weeks, I wouldn't fret about it.

Also, is it possible he's younger than you were told? Your breeder doesn't sound like the most reliable. And BTW are they offering anything for having sold you a defective puppy?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Crikey... there are some vets around who try to panic people for no reason and how often do we have to keep paying for tests that have proved negative and probably weren't necessary, just lining their pockets!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I swear, vets like to panic people.

So unless he doesn't show any signs of losing puppy teeth within the next few weeks, I wouldn't fret about it.

Also, is it possible he's younger than you were told? Your breeder doesn't sound like the most reliable. And BTW are they offering anything for having sold you a defective puppy?
There's a very high possibility he could be younger. He most likely was younger when I got him, yeah.
The guy who I got Hank from won't even reply back to my messages anymore. Luckily, I know where he works. Some members of my family offered to help me contact him. I may be able to get my money back within the month with their help.. And I need to know that he isn't running some sort of puppy-mill scam. I don't want people having to deal with what Hank and I have..

I'm kind of glad I got the test anyways since I found out how low his blood platelet count ended up being. That way I know I need to stop giving him his pain medicine and switch him to something else.

Also, Thanks for the replies! I didn't know if it was something with Hank or maybe even something with his breed..
Thank Y'all

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I don't want people having to deal with what Hank and I have..
Given the nature of the genetics of glaucoma it is like that at least 25% of the litter has the problem could possibly be higher.

I regard to teething most of mine started in the 4 1/2 to five month range also of note there is also a second teething period when the last molars come in akin to wisdom teeth in humans around 10 months of age.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given the nature of the genetics of glaucoma it is like that at least 25% of the litter has the problem could possibly be higher.

I regard to teething most of mine started in the 4 1/2 to five month range also of note there is also a second teething period when the last molars come in akin to wisdom teeth in humans around 10 months of age.

Great information. Thank Y'all very much! Thanks MikeyT. I remember wisdom teeth and getting those things out because they were growing in and crushing my other teeth. Ouch.
Lucky for Hank he doesn't have to get those out. Can't wait for him to start teething and to finish.

I really need to get a hold of this guy and make sure the other people who bought pups aren't having the same problem Hank and I are.. :/ I'll let Y'all know what is going on once I find out about the other pups.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If he doesn't work with you I would take out a small add in the pet section saying something like"ATTENTION" Those who may have bought Basset Hound puppies on or around ,whatever date, from, "his name," you may want to have your puppy checked for Glaucoma mine has it.If you would like to get in touch with me .Phone No.----- You might get some replys.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If he doesn't work with you I would take out a small add in the pet section saying something like"ATTENTION" Those who may have bought Basset Hound puppies on or around ,whatever date, from, "his name," you may want to have your puppy checked for Glaucoma mine has it.If you would like to get in touch with me .Phone No.----- You might get some replys.
That's a great idea bubbad!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I would be so MAD and would want some $$ back for future enucleations and such :( so glad Mr. Hank is in good hands now.

methinks you could contact the local Animal Control for the city/county the breeder lives in. or Better Business Bureau....? those were some suggestions we were given when we were going through this. ours actually is a licensed breeder so we are reporting our issues w/the licensing agency.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I really need to get a hold of this guy and make sure the other people who bought pups aren't having the same problem Hank and I are..
the problem with gaulcoma general do not show up until the dog is middle aged just because no one else does not have a problem now that it will not occur in the future,

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, that is a great idea! I might, thats true. I know that one of the people who bought a puppy is a sweet little old lady who always wanted a basset hound puppy and finally decided to buy one after her husband passed.. She named the pup Bailey. Thats what the guy who I bought Hank from told me when we were still talking.
I certainly hope I can find that lady atleast.

I would be so MAD and would want some $$ back for future enucleations and such :( so glad Mr. Hank is in good hands now.

methinks you could contact the local Animal Control for the city/county the breeder lives in. or Better Business Bureau....? those were some suggestions we were given when we were going through this. ours actually is a licensed breeder so we are reporting our issues w/the licensing agency.
Hmm well I know he lives in the same town as me, or atleast works in the same town I live in. first time we met when i bought hank, we met at his work place-- which just so happens to be a veterinary clinic. It was after the clinic closed for the day and he was wearing scrubs with their logo on it.
He told me he's a vet tech there, so I'm going to try to call the actual veterinarian. Maybe he had another litter that had a pup with the same problem and is still breeding them anyways..

the problem with gaulcoma general do not show up until the dog is middle aged just because no one else does not have a problem now that it will not occur in the future,
Yup, maybe one of the other pups will develop it young like Hank did, though..

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Did you get any AKC or other registering bodies or papers they would have his name.There is such a thing as a puppy lemon law ,may not be in all states,but if you want to pursue this,which for the amount of money you will need to put out, I would,could be worth it.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear all that you’re going through with Mr. Hank. I’m sure there is something that can be done about that nasty old breeder. I’d hate to think what my husband would do to him if that happened to us with the breeder living in the same town.

It sounds like Mr. Hank is lucky to have you –

I just had a thought (scary as that can be) but if you’re going to call where he works – I would try calling after hours. You never know what friends he has that work the phones and you have to give so much info before being able to talk with the vet.

Jen~

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you get any AKC or other registering bodies or papers they would have his name.There is such a thing as a puppy lemon law ,may not be in all states,but if you want to pursue this,which for the amount of money you will need to put out, I would,could be worth it.
No registration papers. I asked him about them when I got Hank and I asked if it were possible for him to get registration papers for me and he said he'd try if he were able. That's the last I heard of AKC registration/papers from him.

I would do that, but Hank just got out from surgery and I don't have the type of money right now.

Houndmomma: Good idea. I have been trying all sorts of ways to get a hold of him.. The only thing I haven't done is gone to his work/tried to call them. If I do, I will definitely call after hours.. from what he told me, he's been working there for 2 years. He probably is somewhat close with all the workers.

Yeah my boyfriend is very upset and my brother is even more upset. I have plenty of people willing to help me get a hold of him

·
Registered
973 Posts
If you do find out he is doing something suspicious I would report it to the SPCA of Texas: SPCA of Texas - Home.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
FWIW texas does not have a puppy lemon law. Presue something on fraudelant practice on the consumer protection act is not going to be easy or cost effective when dealing with a single individual

1 - 16 of 16 Posts