Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, last night Lily fell asleep in my bed and I was dead asleep as well, she just layed there all night long at the end of my bed, didnt move or get up till about 5am. Am I starting something bad by letting her sleep in my bed now? Does this become a problem as bassets get bigger and older?
I am afraid that if I let her do it now, I wont be able to get her out of my bed later on (Kinda like my 5 year old son that I cant seem to kick out).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Before I got my second Basset Lily slept in bed with my fiance' and I, but once Gibbs came home we kicked them out. She still tries to get in bed whenever she can. (We let them in if one of us is out of town or something) I wish I had a bigger bed so that I could fit them both in, they certianly do take up a lot of room, but keep you warm.

~Heather

·
Registered
118 Posts
The trick is, if you ever switch beds you need to make sure their new bed is as good or better than what they have now!! José now happily sleeps on the loveseat (with his comforter, covered up) or on his futon (again, with his comforter artfully tucked in there to allow him to be covered up). Better than the end of a crowded bed with no cover.

Every so often my husband "ruins it" by bringing José up in bed early on a Sunday morning when we just drink coffee and watch TV in bed. José of course loves it, but just sleeps, as by 8:00 am he really has only had about 11 hours sleep! The only problem is the dog hair. It's so nice to have ONE area in my house without hair!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maya would love to be in our bed with us now! Once she is a bit older, and totally housetrained she will get to come up to the bedroom with us.

Molly lies in wait for the living room door opening at night, then races me upstairs. She comes up beside me for a cuddle then jumps down and sleeps under the bed for a while but is always back up beside me when I waken in the morning.

Amber our boxer who died in June always slept on the bed.

We also sometimes had the cat on there too. Unfortunately he had to be put to sleep just after Christmas.

I miss the warmth of them all cuddling in at night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I worried about my Jenny the first night we brought her home after sleeping with her mother and siblings. I slept on the couch downstairs with her. The next night the boys also slept downstairs with us. Since then the boys have taken her to their room to sleep with them every night. My oldest makes 'his baby' a nest of blankets at the foot of the bed. Unknown to him before the end of the night she ends up with her head on his pillow next to him. She has quickly become the other princess in the family. She is only out ranked by my three yr old daughter who came first lol. I love reading all the stories. :D

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I used to let Lightning & Stomps sleep in bed with me, but Stomps had a problem figuring out where he stood in the pack and began to get extremely aggressive with Lightning. To establish a pecking order, I learned that the first thing I had to do was not let either of them sleep with me, and, sadly, Stomps was not allowed on my lap. As long as Lily doesn't begin to show any signs of aggression to you or anyone else, sleeping with you shouldn't be a problem (as long as you don't mind her taking up the parts of the bed that you would normally need). But if it's not something you want to commit to long term, I highly recommend you nip it in the bud now.

G

·
We have a "no dogs upstairs" rule here (except odd weekends when we sit abed drinking coffee and the dogs join us (well 4 of them)). Mind you, a wolfhound takes up a LOT of space. I think Jackson will end up sleeping on my Dad's bed though.... (not that he will be spoiled... much :lol: )

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kerrio
Jackson's Blog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts