Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have question...I sold a puppy to a family in April. Now two months later they contacted me to return her due to his wife’s allergy to her and all dogs. Am I obligated to give them a refund? Or can I just offer to help find her a good home? I’m a rookie at this dog selling gig. I have two beautiful Bassets who had puppies in February. Not a big time Breeder by any means. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I sold a puppy to a family in April. Now two months later they contacted me to return her due to his wife’s allergy to her and all dogs. Am I obligated to give them a refund? Or can I just offer to help find her a good home?
A lot would depend on the terms of the Sale Contract. Good breeders always include a clause stating that they will take the puppy back at any stage but don't always make mention of whether or not a refund, ,might be made, and at what percentage. I'd be more than happy to get the puppy back so she doesn't end up in the wrong hands, and become a breeding machine! I don't think after 2 months+, they can expect to receive a full refund, but what I have done with the one occasion when, homing an older puppy from one of our litters, after I decided she wasn't really up to her early promise (and by then, having a litter from the sister of her dam which were way better), that didn't work out. I went to collect her as they'd told me their squaddie son had been kicking a football at her, scaring her to death - I needed her out of there asap. I told them I'd make a refund of the low asking price they'd paid me (being that much older) less a small 'boarding fee' for the time she had to be back with me before finding another home. As it happened, she was back with us for less than a week! They later came at me saying they could have sold her on for more than I'd given them back !!! Lucky escape there.

Provided she's okay staying with them for now, if a new home can be found for her, with your input, so she doesn't have to come back to you and off again, for me that's always best. If there's ANY chance of them selling her on...... get her back and dicker about a refund later!

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
you are obligated to take the dog back . A refund is a different matter entirely.. Personally I would refund because control of the puppy is that important to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I would prefer to give a partial refund, but I would give a full one if that's what's necessary to get the pup back and make sure it goes to the right home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts