Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Whiskey has taken to a new habit, chewing wires.

We've actually only ever had one other dog that's done this before (and he was a ten week old lab that actually climbed out of his play pen and onto our entertainment center and chewed apart our tv), but no other dog has ever chewed on wires.

Then this morning I get up to turn on the light in our living room, and it won't turn on. Not only did she chew on the wires, but she un plugged them. Thankfully she's not hurt and nothing was really damaged either, but this is soooo new territory for me.

So two questions:

1. How do you all puppy proof your electronics and wires?

2. Are there any other things that bassets are prone to destroy? LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
LOL Boomer's Mom! Whiskey's mom, you might invest in a bottle of Bitter Apple spray and spray it on everything your pup has access to. And I can't remember if you crate Whiskey or not, but it sounds like you might want to. Chewing can really spiral out of control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whiskey's mom, you might invest in a bottle of Bitter Apple spray and spray it on everything your pup has access to.
LOL! We actually have a bottle already because our pug once had to have her foot bandaged and we needed her to stop chewing on it. Unfortunately Whiskey LIKES THE TASTE! LOL!

And I can't remember if you crate Whiskey or not, but it sounds like you might want to.
Oh believe me I want to. But that's a whole other thread LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,947 Posts
LOL! We actually have a bottle already because our pug once had to have her foot bandaged and we needed her to stop chewing on it. Unfortunately Whiskey LIKES THE TASTE! LOL!
not that uncommon Many of mind find it a condiment that helps increase flavor, I don't now if it is availsble in small quanities and or diluted formulat, but the follow is being required by more and more states to be added to antifreeze being sold at the retail level to make it unappitizing.

bitrex The most bitter substance known to man. Last time I priced it it was a mere $1,500.00 for five gallons 25% mixed eith Ethylerne glycol/ but a little bit goes a long way in antifreeze it is add at a rate of 37part per million.

Position Statement on the Use of Taste-Aversive Additives in Antifreeze
While the ASPCA supports the concept of protecting companion animals from known poisons through taste aversion, there is as yet no published data demonstrating the efficacy of Bitrex, or any other taste-aversive substance, in the dog. In fact, The ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) regularly receives calls involving dogs who have consumed mouse poison containing denatonium benzoate.
The APCC and dog owners are well aware of the fact that dogs will eat unlikely substances in alarming quantities. The ASPCA is concerned that antifreeze containing a taste-aversive substance that was specifically added to protect dogs would be marketed as “safer,” thus causing pet owners to relax their vigilance with regard to handling and storing this potentially lethal product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
I've found success with a product called Bitter Yuck spray. Its available at petco in the same area as the bitter apple spray. My dogs hate the taste of it. So do I for that matter.....the first time I used it (it's a spray) I managed to get it into my sinuses and my mouth. Needless to say it made me vomit (and I have a pretty strong stomach). So I can whole heartedly endorse this product as effective.

NaturVet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
I didn't have any luck with the sprays. They don't seem to bother them. Years ago I had a friend who had a problem with chewed wires. He ran the wires through PVC pipe along the wall and it solved the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Years ago I had a friend who had a problem with chewed wires. He ran the wires through PVC pipe along the wall and it solved the problem.
I may have to do something like this. Or somehow figure out how to border off all the electrical areas. Hmm...
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top