Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a now 5 month old basset hound. I got her when she was close to 10 weeks old and she arrived to me from he beeeder with multiple intestinal parasites. Giardia, hookworm, and coccidia. We have treated for all of those and it took some time but she seemed to be doing better. Over the last week she has been having off and on again diarrhea. I also noticed her start trembling when she would try to lay down and sleep. She started to growl at me when I would try to pick her up and she was sleeping. I have also noticed she seems itchy a lot of the time and that’s been an ongoing thing. I knew she was in pain and took her to the vet last Saturday. She acts normal, healthy, and happy most of the time. The vet seemed to think she was fine since she was acting normal at the vet and no apparent clinical findings. They did an abdominal X-ray which showed intestinal inflammation and her bowels were full with stool and gas. They gave her an allergy shot for the itching which didn’t really seem to help. Did no other work ups and the vet didn’t think it was necessary and said she probably just got into something she shouldn’t have ate and put her on flagyl. Her last 2 stool samples have been negative for parasites. She is still a week after taking her to the vet not 100% back to normal she had on and off diarrhea during the week and GI upset. She is still trembling occasionally when she lays down. The vets next recommendation is to do another stool sample and GI panel to check for bacteria which is going to cost a pretty penny. I just don’t want to keep dumping my money into stuff that’s not going to find answers and if she doesn’t get better that’s what I will proceed with because I want to do whatever is going to get her better. I don’t know if I should assume she still has an intestinal parasite and just keeps having false negative stool samples or if there is something else going on. Just not sure what to proceed with and what kind of diagnostics she should be doing! Any thoughts help?

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
allergy at 5 month of age is not a good sign, they usually develop later. You may be dealing with a food intolerance/allergy issue you may want to discuss with your vet a limited ingredient novel protein dog food,or one of the hypoallergenic prescription foods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That had actually crossed my mind as well as one of the possibilities of what could be going on with her, I did mention that to the vet when I took her in and she said she is too young to have developed a food intolerance/allergy and completely disregarded it. I thought about trying to change her food on my own I was just afraid to exacerbate anything with trying to introduce a new food. Might not be a bad idea to rule it out though

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Look at the Giardia!! My current buy-in boy came to us with sloppy stools which turned out to be Giardia, which I'd NEVER experienced before. He was clear for all the other possibilities and eventually we did get neg. fecals for Giardia. However, although he'd start the day with normal firm stools, by the end of the day it was way different. Finally a vet from the sister practice I was using was on duty one Saturday and said put him on Hills I/D for a week, then onto home-made fish and potato. The improvement was outstanding and almost immediate. After making up coley/mashed potato for a while, I searched round for a commercially made fish diet and found (UK) Arden Grange Sensitive (yes really) which is a fish and potato based diet but with all the extras I couldn't provide in the home-made food. It's a tad costly, but if it keeps him out of the vet's office, which it has, for years now, so be it. I have tried switching him to something less expensive, but every time, he loses stool quality.

The added benefit with the diet he's on is it shouldn't produce food related allergies as there's no cereal in it.

If you switch, you know to do it gradually, mixing the new with the old for at least a week or you'll run into digestive upsets!!

I'd not realised quite what a nasty protozoa Giardia is - even if the majority is killed off, some will burrow into the gut, to emerge during times of stress. Thankfully that's one problem with this boy, we've not had!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a now 5 month old basset hound. I got her when she was close to 10 weeks old and she arrived to me from he beeeder with multiple intestinal parasites. Giardia, hookworm, and coccidia. We have treated for all of those and it took some time but she seemed to be doing better. Over the last week she has been having off and on again diarrhea. I also noticed her start trembling when she would try to lay down and sleep. She started to growl at me when I would try to pick her up and she was sleeping. I have also noticed she seems itchy a lot of the time and that’s been an ongoing thing. I knew she was in pain and took her to the vet last Saturday. She acts normal, healthy, and happy most of the time. The vet seemed to think she was fine since she was acting normal at the vet and no apparent clinical findings. They did an abdominal X-ray which showed intestinal inflammation and her bowels were full with stool and gas. They gave her an allergy shot for the itching which didn’t really seem to help. Did no other work ups and the vet didn’t think it was necessary and said she probably just got into something she shouldn’t have ate and put her on flagyl. Her last 2 stool samples have been negative for parasites. She is still a week after taking her to the vet not 100% back to normal she had on and off diarrhea during the week and GI upset. She is still trembling occasionally when she lays down. The vets next recommendation is to do another stool sample and GI panel to check for bacteria which is going to cost a pretty penny. I just don’t want to keep dumping my money into stuff that’s not going to find answers and if she doesn’t get better that’s what I will proceed with because I want to do whatever is going to get her better. I don’t know if I should assume she still has an intestinal parasite and just keeps having false negative stool samples or if there is something else going on. Just not sure what to proceed with and what kind of diagnostics she should be doing! Any thoughts help?
Hi I know this is an old thread. I have the same thing going on with my 9 month old male. How did this resolve for you?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Frankie (who came to us at 4 months with Giardia, no Coccidia or Salmonella but he did have roundworm ova however) had no recurring GI problems, other than once a few years ago when his gut stopped 'working' = pretty much bloat but without torsion. He was in with my vet for 2 nights, on a drip before things finally got moving. His nurses said YUCK! I had to keep him on a fish and potato diet (commercially made so he had all the 'extras') to the day I lost him or he would become loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts