Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here!!!!! I am very excited to join this forum because I love basset hounds. I Just adopted a new basset puppy. She will finally come to her new home on Friday! I first went to see her almost three weeks ago! It feels like it has been forever!

Now I just have to decide on a name!

Any input on your thoughts of which name is the best is welcomed~!

The Selections...

LOLA.
Dweezil
Rylan.
Gertie.
Lula.
&
Beulah

Thank you,
Adrianne

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
How about Pansy? I just met a pit/boxer mix puppy named Pansy and I loved it. I also kind of like Lola and one of my fave bassets of all time was named Gertie. Have a blast!! Basset puppies rock.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Basset puppies are adorable. I am assuming you have never had one before in my suggestion, so correct me or ignore my advice if you need to.

A good basset hound name is one that you can scream whenever you need to. For instance, if your puppy decides she is going to eat the contents of a litter box, you don't want to have to scream a difficult to pronounce name. From your list, I would suggest 'Beulah' or 'Gertie', more likely Beulah, because you can really drag that last syllable out into a long holler if you need to.

Enjoy your new pup, she is cute!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If I had it to do over again, I would have just named Lightning "No" or "Leave it". It would have saved a lot of wear and tear on my vocal cords over the years. I'm just kidding (well, not really). Congratulations on the new puppy and post lots of pictures of her.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I like the name Lola. She is very cute! Congrats on you new puppy and be sure to post more pictures once she comes home.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I agree with the poster who suggested you get a name that is easy to yell. I'd add that you'd best pick on that you don't feel embarrassed when you have to yell it in public. I wanted to name our Pearl 'Snuggles' when we first went to see her. My husband campaigned for Pearl. Thank heavens, especially since we went on to showing in obedience trials. The thought of yelling 'Snuggles, sit' in front of an audience makes me cringe.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not sure why, but I always liked Ethel for a girl basset. Gertie is my next favorite from your list.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Speaking of embarrassing names to yell out, my cousin had a dog named Heidi. This was a long time ago in a small rural town when people would just let their dogs out the front door when they needed to go out--no fences or leashes. Anyway, one day my cousin was standing on her front stoop calling out "Heidi! Heidi!" to get her dog to come back in, and a man walking down the road finally turned to her and said "Hello!" Where I live, heidi and howdy are the same thing. So he thought my cousin was just being extremely neighborly. I thought that was so funny!

BTW, I vote for Lola, if she's still not named.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts