Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so mad about this, but i just found out that a "breeder" by us, is actaully a back yard breeder, or puppy mill with basset hounds. I have been looking at buying a puppy from her for over a year now, and she always tells me they are registered and the parents are regsiter, etc...
Which sounds great, exactly what i am looking for. But I have been asking questions to her, such as what are the parents full names, and stuff about the papers, and she doesn't return my emails, so i got confused enough, i contacted the Candian Kennel Club, that she claims they all are register with, and it turns out they have never heard of her, or her kennel!!! They have no records of her even being a part of the kennel club. So she has been sellin unregister basset hounds, are full price, and people are believing that they are getting a registered, high quaility dog, when in reality NO they are not!!! Through looking at her kennel for over a year, i also realized that she always seems to have a litter on the ground or on the way, and then it dawned on me, that it is a good possiblity that she is breeding every heat on each of her girls! Which really makes me mad! :twisted:

Sorry i just really need to vent!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Good for you! You've educated yourself and found out what this woman truly is. Those poor dogs, eh? I assume you're not going to buy a puppy from her now.

Are there no ethical breeders near you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No there is none by us, but i don't mind paying for shipping, i did on my two bassets I have now. I know a register dog is worth every penny of it, as long as it is what we want, and meets the standards in the show ring.

This lady is like an hour from us, so i thought that was great, because i could go out and see the dogs in person, but now that i know what is going on, i won't be doing that! The CKC is going to be contacting her, because she is using their kennel club to sell dogs, when the kennel club has no part of it. These people make me so mad!! It's just so unfair for these poor dogs.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
BassetWonders, before pointing the finger at others, how about you tell us about your upcoming litter?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Are you going to report her?

Or just let it go? I hope you call the SPCA or whoever has the power to shut her down.

Lou

Oh btw papers don't mean a thing you know... so many ways around that one. My friend sold a Great Dane to a man just so he could have "registered" puppies from all his dogs even those not from her dog.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will tell you anything you would like to know about my up coming litter. they are regsitered, and are finshed showing, due to having titles. Ask any questions, i will be happy to answer them

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by BassetWonders
Ask any questions, i will be happy to answer them
Thank you. :)

Is this the litter you're expecting?

From your website
Some litters are not register at ALL, due to high demand for pups, as pets only! These pups do not have a non breeding contract and are sold at a lesser price.
Why are you breeding unregistered litters? Why don't you sell all your pet quality puppies on spay/neuter contracts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No this litter is going to be all register! We have never bred any unregistered litter, but as getting into breeding, and learning how the system works, and doesn't work, we have left windows up. litters that are non register will be held, until they are spayed or neutered, before leaving, even if it meant keeping them til they were a year old!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh i forgot to mention, that if we do an unregistered litter they will also be microchipped too, before leaving our care

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Are the dogs in the photos the titled parents? By titled, do you mean they are conformation champions?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Who is the father out of? The mother? Is she being shown in conformation? Health clearances?

·
Registered
127 Posts
What do "papers" have to do with whether or not the dog is worth anything? So, I'd assume because my duncan is unregistered, not a straight bone in his body, is obviously unworthy? I could care less about papers. Do you feel the same way about handicapped people? they arn't perfect. Let me guess, you drive a top of the line car, and wear all the in fashion clothes?

What is with all these heated topics? What happened to nice posts about our funny dogs? I don't like being mad.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by BassetWonders
No this litter is going to be all register! We have never bred any unregistered litter, but as getting into breeding, and learning how the system works, and doesn't work, we have left windows up. litters that are non register will be held, until they are spayed or neutered, before leaving, even if it meant keeping them til they were a year old!

Wait a minute. On your website you said they wern't register but here you said that you NEVER breed unregister? So which is it? As far as I'm concerned your no better than that byb.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
What do \"papers\" have to do with whether or not the dog is worth anything
Please don't take the discussion personally kittiesareus. Because Having Papers only says the dog is registered with some organization that registers dogs. The discussion is about the breeders who produce dogs without registrations papers.
AKC registration means that the parent dogs were registered, that an irresponsible breeder lied or was mistaken about the breeding that produced the litter, or that an unprincipled breeder was committing outright fraud to raise the value of the puppies. Registration itself is neither a guarantee nor even an indication of quality
See What does AKC Registration really mean? for further discussion on this topic.

A breeder selling unregistered dogs may be doing so because the parents were not registered. Some do so they don't have to pay the registration fees. If the breeder is an ethical breeder the "papers" indicate that the dog's parents were AKC (or in Canada, CKC) registered. Hopefully the parents have been screened for genetic diseases and conform to the Basset Hound standard. The Standard is a set of guidelines for appearance and temperament that was developed by the national breed club and approved by AKC. Now a days parentage can be proven by DNA testing.

You can get the most wonderful companion animal from a shelter or rescue organization. It most likely won't have papers but that says nothing about the dog's ability to provide years of love and devotion.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
The advertising of unregistered dogs is something I can't quite get my head around. Breeding and selling unregistered dogs for the pet trade defines backyard breeders and puppymills.

I've adopted unregistered bassets through rescue, and they make lovely pets. But I don't use my money to support BYBs and puppymills; I support rescue. :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
And every one of these dogs deserves a home where they will be loved and cared for. The problem is, they won't all have that and the people breeding care nothing about it. All they want is the money they're getting when they sell puppies......

·
Registered
316 Posts
This could get ugly really fast.

I cringe when I hear 'we are selling dogs without papers at pet prices without spay/neuter contracts.' It usually means more dogs in shelters after the owners realize how stubborn bassets are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can get the most wonderful companion animal from a shelter or rescue organization. It most likely won't have papers but that says nothing about the dog's ability to provide years of love and devotion.
Thanks for that! I've had Henry, adopted from a shelter, for almost six months now. Though I'm only six months into the love and devotion, I look forward to many years. And not a paper in sight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts