Basset Hounds Forum banner

Puppy Mill Issue Lives On....

8K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Betsy Iole 
#1 ·
I just encountered the following story on the Minneapolis Star Tribune web site this morning. While it doesn't specify dog breeds, it does make me wonder if we're making any headway on the whole puppy mill issue. Note that it doesn't even mention the issue:

"Neighbors criticize plans for 600-dog breeding operation"

Last update: January 24, 2006 – 7:39 AM
LITTLE FALLS, Minn. — Some neighbors in rural Morrison County are upset about plans for a 600-dog breeding operation northeast of Little Falls.
Gary McDuffee hopes to establish a kennel for breeding small dogs in Belle Prairie Township. Property owner Harvey Block applied for the permit.

The Morrison County board voted 4-to-1 to approve a conditional-use permit for the kennel. The board didn't require an environmental review, despite a petition from a group of residents requesting one.

Roger Nelson [lives] less than a quarter mile from the proposed kennel and says he's worried that dog manure from the kennel could affect nearby wetlands. He said he's also concerned about the affect kennel noise would have on local wildlife.

Nelson said he and other residents may appeal the board's decision.

McDuffee said he's addressed concerns about noise, manure and odor and says he plans to run a very nice operation.

See less See more
#2 ·
Arggghhh!!! This makes me sick. I live in Lancaster County, Pa. and there have been battles for years to shut down the puppy mills here to no avail. We have a strong No Puppy Mills group that is very active in local affairs and on the state level, but they are thwarted by lenient laws, loopholes in existing laws, and lawyers who are hired by these puppymill owners to keep themselves going.In an attempt to make tourists visiting the Amish country aware of this horror,and to embarass the county, the anti puppymill faction has erected large billboards along Rt.30 proclaiming: "Welcome to Lancaster County- the Capitol of the United States for Puppy Mills!" I hope the folks in Little Falls fight like h*ll to keep those people out, because once they are established there's no end in sight.

[ January 24, 2006, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

G
#3 ·
Ought to keep that kennel owner's information on hand and in a couple of years when he gets established, file a "fink form" with the IRS to make sure he's paying his "fair share" to Uncle Sam. Being pretty much a "cash" business, I think most of these places are making a lot of money that doesn't get reported. You get a percentage of what the IRS collects if they find out he's lying. Might be some good money to donate to rescue. If we can't get 'em any other way, might as well get Uncle Sam after 'em.

I have to fault the county for approving. They're probably seeing tax dollar signs.

Janet 'n Twinkie

#5 ·
"I thought puppy mills are illegal?"

No, they must be licesessed by the USDA, inspections are rare and incomplete.

A standard definition of a puppy mill is a wholesale producer of puppy. IE the sell to stores not directly to consumers. Which means they are regulated by the USDA.
Condition at such facilities can run from emaculate to horrendous, the conditions of the facility do not enter into the picture for the purposes of the definition.

Also larger breeder that sell direct via internet are not Wholesale breeders and therefore not USDA
regulated Some of these operations are quite large but that plays no role in USDA regulation.
From a strict definition stand point again these operations are not puppymill per say but large scale BYB's. Angain conditions can run the gambit and play no part in the designation.

#7 ·
I have a local Colorado story about a puppy mill. I left out her last name and included some history on her.

In 1998, the AKC revoked Catherine's registration privileges after improper breeding practices.
In late 2003, county officials served a court order to reduce her kennel size.
In July 2004, Catherine, a former Weld County resident, was convicted and sentenced to 60 days of jail time for abandoning 84 Labrador retrievers without food and water for several days near Berthoud. Fifty-four of the dogs were euthanized, three died and 27 were adopted.
On Jan 12,2006, after an attempted bank robbery, Catherine, led officers on a chase that ended north of Longmont. She pointed a fake gun at Larimer County Sheriff's officials and they shot and killed her.

What goes around comes around.

#8 ·
This guy has promised to de-bark the adult dogs!!!!How sick is that? If you go to mcr@mcrecord.com it is the local newspaper of the area and they are asking for people's opinions. I've also e-mailed one of the people from the board who approved it. Talking of puppymills, to-night in a local paper which sells animals, it had basset pups for sale.The advert said vet checked and will deliver(very rarely see bassets for sale) and it was a mobile telephone number.Obviously with a popular soap over here now featuring a basset pup, the puppymills will go into overdrive.Most of these dogs are bred in Ireland and are then sold to brokers over here who advertise them in newspapers or via the internet.Just breaks your heart to see bassets now advertised.

#9 ·
From the Tri-County Humane Society: Web Page Here

Six hundred adult dogs will soon call a 40-acre plot of land in Belle Prairie Township (MN) home, this coming after the Morrison County Commissioners approved an application to build a dog kennel on the land.

The conditional use permit, submitted by Harvey Block, was previously inspected by the county’s Planning and Zoning Department and approved. The County Commissioners approved the measure by a 4-1 vote.

Commissioner Jeff Schilling, District 2, voted against the application because the applicants will not be living on the land. "My opinion was, if he (Block) is not going to live there, why should the people who do live there have to listen to the noise?" Schilling told the Record.

The kennel will be located on land southwest of the Belle Prairie Town Hall off County Road 263.

During the same meeting, it was also decided the kennel would not have to undergo an Environment Assessment Worksheet (EAW) before it can begin operation.

While livestock pens of similar head count commonly face EAWs to address issues of manure run-off and noise pollution, the kennel is exempt because the dogs, roughly 10-14 pounds apiece, are equal in weight to only eight steer.

The owners of the kennel also said the adult breeding dogs would be debarked to ease noise pollution.

--------

What can you do? Write or call the commissioners to express your disappointment.

Morrison County District 1
Commissioner Tom Wenzel
20754 Highway #10
Little Falls, MN 56345
320-749-2288

Communities in this district:
Cushing Township, Darling Township, Green Prairie Township, Little Falls City - 3, Motley City, Motley Township, Rail Prairie Township, Randall City, Rosing Township, Scandia Valley Township

Morrison County District 2
Commissioner Jeff Schilling
25117 185th Avenue
Ft. Ripley, MN 56449
320-745-2617
Email: jeffs@co.morrison.mn.us

Belle Prairie Township, Buh Township, Little Falls City - 2, Platte Township, Ripley Township

Morrison County District 3
Commissioner Gene Young
15234 Game Farm Road
Little Falls, MN 56345
320-745-2537

Bellevue Township, Little Falls City - 1, Little Falls Township, Royalton City

Morrison County District 4
Commissioner Don Meyer
19628 305th Avenue
Pierz, MN 56364
320-468-6096

Agram Township, Buckman City, Buckman Township, Genola City, Granite Township, Harding City, Hillman City, Hillman Township, Lakin Township, Lastrup City, Leigh Township, Morrill Township, Mount Morris Township, Pierz City, Pierz Township, Pulaski Township, Richardson Township

Morrison County District 5
Commissioner Bill Block
6651 170th Street
Little Falls, MN 56345
320-749-2013

Bowlus City, Culdrum Township, Elmdale City, Elmdale Township, Flensburg City, Parker Township, Sobieski City, Swan River Township, Swanville Township, Two Rivers Township, Upsala City

Email an editorial to the local paper- the Morrison County Record
mcr@mcrecord.com

How to stop a puppy mill article-- info about license types
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/stopmill.html

From TCHS Executive Director:
Regarding: neighbors rally against dog kennel article in the St. Cloud times 1/23/06
It saddens me to think that this proposed plan to mass produce dogs might actually become a reality in a neighboring community. What makes me more
sad is that some people still think nothing is wrong with it. in the year 2006, how can this be ? To me
that says Morrison County residents should consider some new representation.

These animals will have a miserable existence -- never knowing a
kind voice or touch, not to mention a clean and comfortable place
to lie down. Whether they are being raised for research or to be shipped out of state to pet stores -- either way it is socially and morally wrong. This is no way to treat the animals we purposely
domesticated to be our loving companions.

I urge you to take a minute or two and contact the representatives
of this county and help be a voice for those who cannot speak -- and soon
won't even be able to bark.
Updated information will continue to be available at this website.

#11 ·
Bucksnort & Bosco- thank you for posting the contact information. I have contacted several representatives on the list and suggested that they look into the miserable history of puppymills in Lancaster County, Pa. where I live.They truly don't understand all of the ramifications of allowing this type of operation to get a foothold in their area. Sadly, it sounds like it is already a "done deal'.

#13 ·
Sabian's mom- there are many outraged people here in Lancaster County who fight these puppymill atrocities to very little effect. The laws aren't strong enough. These operations are willing to pay the fines- they just pay and keep going.Our No Puppy Mills group attends town meetings to tries and get local laws changed, they lobby in Harrisburg, they try to raise public awarenss - but it just goes on and on.It is very frustrating.

#14 ·
Frankly speaking...I find it interesting that someone on the commission has the same last name as the "owner" of this place. Yes, it could be coincidence...but then again...

Animal Ark also has some of the information available and will keep updates. Their site is at http://www.animalarkshelter.org/

By the way, this place is not that far from me. I would have no problem making very frequent visits with my camcorder and digital camera. I have family in the area also willing to keep tabs on the place.

#16 ·
Surprise! Surprise! The owner of this puppymill is called McDuffee. His wife is banned from the AKC for 10 years until 2008. They have other mills. Just e-mailed one of the commissioners with this(no doubt already knows). They breed small dogs(Scotties, westies,cairns etc).

G
#17 ·
Is there any way this info could be forwarded to Minnesota's Humane Societies? It may be that they already know about it and I know that what's done is done, but I think it would be a good idea to have someone keeping an eye on this operation. What about the HSUS and the ASPCA? If we could get where to send the information, I'd be happy to forward it. This guy needs to know that people will be watching. I'd cc him and the commissioners on all the letters.

I noticed through the link to Animal Ark in one of the above posts lists the e-mail addresses for all the Commissioners. Perhaps a little e-mail campaign expressing Cyberhound's members' displeasure is in order?

Janet 'n Twinkie.

[ January 26, 2006, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Twinkie's Mum ]

#23 ·
Thanks to everyone who has responded and signed the petition. It saddens and embarrasses me that this could happen in my home state, one that generally prides itself on an enlightened and compassionate environment. Please encourage your friends to sign the on-line petition, and to contact the Morrison county commissioners who are responsible for approving this wrong-headed application. It's only one puppy mill in one county in one state - but if we all mobilize and focus on this operation, and get attention focused on it, perhaps the message will spread. I am today sending messages on this operation to the local Twin Cities TV news operations, along with links to puppy mill information, encouraging them to place this operation, and the people who approved it, under public scrutiny. After all, they love to show pictures of the backyard breeding operations that break down, and the poor animals that must be rescued as a result - here is an opportunity for them to help avoid a similar situation on a much larger scale! Thanks again to everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.