Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've only had our 8 week old basset, Higgins for a couple of days but I've noticed on both days that he has had hiccups. They dont last long.. maybe a minute or two and only once or twice a day and it's usually after waking up from a nap and he starts to play. Is this normal for a puppy or do you think it warrants a vet visit?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Seems to be pretty normal. I remember all of our dogs doing that quite a bit as pups but never really seeing it when they are adults.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep nearly every puppy I've known has gotten the hiccups on and off. Nothing unusual nor anything to be concerned about. You can help them get rid of them by tapping them on the back gently just like you do a baby who has gas. I do it if it seems to be distressing them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Charlie had the hiccups.. and I always thought it was so cute when she got them, ha. She is 8 months now though and rarely gets them

·
Registered
973 Posts
Anabelle is at least 8 years old and still gets hiccups pretty regularly. I think she has figured out how to make them go away though.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer is 4 mos and hiccups on occasion. It's kind of funny to see his whole body jump from it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We have had Nitro for two weeks and he seems to get the hiccups every evening around 7:30. Usually when he is sleeping. I was scared at first because we has a beagle the had seizures and had to be put to sleep, but now they are funny. His whole little body gets going. I laugh so hard!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Virga who is 16 weeks old gets them fairly regularly too. She just sits there and looks up at us with this pathetic look on her face like, "Make them go away please!" It cracks us up. Doppler had them a lot when he was a puppy too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts