Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting him on medication tonight and doing so for 2 weeks, one on, then one off, then one on.
Does anyone know how long giardia lives outside? I have been scooping his poop and throwing it down a bank, so its virtually impossible for me to dispose of it all. From now on i guess i will be throwing it away?
I'm also concerned about my sugar glider who lives in a cage, in the same room with us and the puppy.
Anyone whos been through this, feel free to chime in...thanks!

UGH...joys of being a new parent

·
Registered
878 Posts
Isn't Giardia a pretty serious condition? I had never heard of it until a friend of mine got an 8-week old Newfoundland puppy who was very ill a few days after he got him and he lost quite a bit of weight, then ended up on a drip in the "intensive care" at the vet hospital and they discovered he had Giardia.

How did your puppy get it? I hope he's not as ill as my friend's Newfoundland as it was touch and go with him for a few days! :( He's OK now though, thank goodness!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ninja has picked up giardia twice. She was treated with a combination of metronidazole and Panacur for 7 days. From what I understand, the cysts can live outside for quite a long time...weeks to several months. We tried to get her do her business in one area of the yard while being treated, and we always pick up her poops immediately. Once the treatment was completed, we have kept her (and Larsen) away from that area, just in case.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as it being pretty serious. I have heard it is if not treated. So far, i think we caught it early, and as long as we do the treatment as neccesary, he should be fine. His attitude and playfullness hasn't changed.

Does anyone know of any lifelong effect of Giardia? We have a great dog park near our house, but is the risk of picking up something again worth it?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Giardia is a cyst it is resistant to even clorine bleach which is on reason new dirnking water standard call for Filtration at less than 1 micron. It's actual health risks are minimal It is though by many given the dificulty to treat and the pervaisiveness of the spore that actual all dogs have it but it is general kept in check. When stress or other infection, allergies etc comprimise the immune system it rears it head with diarrhea and other GI symptons. Whether this is true is purely conjecture. However it can be difficult to clear up and may take multiple rounds of medication.

The use of probiotic can be helpful in maintaining gut balance of flora and fauna which also can have a positive effect on treatment as a health population of good bacteria makes it more difficult for the problem ones to flurish.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've had him on fortiflora before we knew it was giardia. It's now been 3 days since he's been on panacur and his stools are much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Giardia is a cyst it is resistant to even clorine bleach which is on reason new dirnking water standard call for Filtration at less than 1 micron. It's actual health risks are minimal It is though by many given the dificulty to treat and the pervaisiveness of the spore that actual all dogs have it but it is general kept in check. When stress or other infection, allergies etc comprimise the immune system it rears it head with diarrhea and other GI symptons. Whether this is true is purely conjecture. However it can be difficult to clear up and may take multiple rounds of medication.

The use of probiotic can be helpful in maintaining gut balance of flora and fauna which also can have a positive effect on treatment as a health population of good bacteria makes it more difficult for the problem ones to flurish.
Thanks you for the post.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just as a side note, giving a human a probiotic whilst they are taking antibiotics is pretty much self-defeating. It is advisable to wait until two days after treatment finishes before taking probiotics. Possibly the same for animals.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Possibly the same for animals.
The digestive track of dog is much short in comparison than a human so food, etc move through much more quickly so it is not as self defeating to use both antibiotics and probiotics with dogs. however you do not want to dose at the same time You want to offest set doses as much as possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts