Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, not really. but i just wanted to share because i didn't think toby would ever get this down. last night in class we tried re-learning shake because he just wasn't getting it. and last night not only did he do shake consistently, but also wave and i even got some high fives out of him! it was the cutest thing i've ever seen with his fat little arms. hope everyone has a great friday!

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok, not really. but i just wanted to share because i didn't think toby would ever get this down. last night in class we tried re-learning shake because he just wasn't getting it. and last night not only did he do shake consistently, but also wave and i even got some high fives out of him! it was the cutest thing i've ever seen with his fat little arms. hope everyone has a great friday!

I s that the same as give is your paw? (as we say in the uk) if so i can't get Doogle to do that yet, we go to doggy school and he's great at everything else just not the hand shake lol. Is it something to do with their stubby legs?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it's the same. toby would NOT do it last week in class but i guess this week something clicked and he was doing it great! i was so thrilled!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Persistence and lots of treats is about the only way to get them to learn anything. Layla just started to figure out the shake thing. I found that if I started by making her sit and then tapping the back of her front paw gently until I was lifting it up into my hands while repeating 'shake' (or whatever command you want to use) worked out pretty well. Eventually she picked it up.

Meanwhile, Rosco is going through every trick I have taught him trying to get the treat I am offering Layla.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The only shaking that my Daisy does is -when she comes in from the rain or she has a bath and shakes the water off of her whole body as if to say "whew glad that is over" !!!! LOL

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahaha. toby does that too! within the next couple weeks he should be graduating from puppy class! he's gotten all the commands down and even some of the extra credit ones. im so proud of my little guy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts