Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what brand of foods you all feed your lovely pets? And if anyone is using (or remembers using) a specific puppy food, that would be wonderful!

I wanted to put flash on chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul-however the store in town that sells that brand does not carry the puppy line :( And claims they cannot get it. So I would have to drive an hour away (or pay a fortune in shipping costs to order it online).

I did look up some foods on petsmart's website and compared them to Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble rating system. I am just overwhelmed!

Flash is currently on purina puppy chow because that is what he was being fed. It seems to come out looking the same way it went in if that makes sense. That wonderful corn meal type look to it, if you know what I mean. I would like to get him on something that is better nutritionally for him. If we have to drive an hour for dog food, I want it to be for something good-I know my rottie did awesome on the chicken soup line of food, and my cats are on the kitty formula now, but I am willing to check out something else too (that is about the best I can buy here in town, based on that website, which I know isn't perfect but the best I know to go by).

Sorry this was so long! But thanks for any suggestions you all have-also, if you fed your dogs something and thought it wasn't so good, I would love to hear about that too!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hiya! FOOD is my favorite topic!!

We were confused and overwhelmed too. We read here that it's good to have Large Breed Puppy food, so these days i am eating "Solid Gold" brand Wolf Cub Large Breed puppy food (bison & salmon i believe?). Here's a link:

Solid Gold Wolf Cub Large Breed Puppy Dog Food at PETCO

We also decided that when I graduate to Adult Food, maybe when I'm 1 1/2 yrs old or so, I will probably eat Turducken. We kept getting coupons at Petco and Petsmart, so now we just started stocking dry dog food, since we don't need much else right now. I was eating Turducken and liked it, until my person found i should be on large breed puppy food still. i started on Kirkland Puppy Food from my breeder's and ate it until 6 months of age, btw. Here's a link for the Turducken:

Amazon.com: Merrick Turducken Dog Food 15lb Bag: Kitchen & Dining

yum, yum, talkin' about food is makin' me hungry!!! :p Worm

ps. forgot to tell ya that after looking up all the reviews, we were super confused too... finally, I CHOSE my dog food. I was in the dog food aisle and i kept pawing at the Solid Gold bag "Barking at the Moon." My person couldn't really figure out what it was good for, being grain free-- suitable for me or not? plus it wasn't puppy food, so that's how we arrived at Solid Gold's large breed puppy food.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I am just overwhelmed!
That is because much of dog food information is pure marketing and has nothing to do with science, That said how onther dog does on a particular brand is no indication on how your dog will do. If you do not like how your dog is doing on a particular food try another just buy enough for a 2-3 week trial and evlaute then. Keep in mind that any rating system carries biases and they are rated purely on an ingredient list which may sound good but there is no way of knowing how much or the quality of that ingredient listed. And eventhen you can't be sure because dog food manufactures have six months to change the labeling when they change the formulation.

the best article on the web I have found in regard to dog food
Dog Foods - Help in making the choice easier

I personally prefer for my dogs a protein amount of around 22-26% and a fat content of around 13-15% in an adult food. My dogs tend to do better on what I consider medium grade foods. Not the best/priciest stuff (Innova, California Natural, Canidae) but not the really cheap stuff either (Hi-Pro, Dog Chow). Remember price has nothing to do with what might work for your dog. Just because a food is listed in a magazine as their 10 best, doesn't mean its better than another food that isn't listed. They do no testing of the food, they base their opinions on the ingredients. My dogs have not done well on any of those foods. Think for yourself and don't get brainwashed into thinking you are a horrible pet owner if you don't buy these foods for your dog.

Remember, what works for my dogs or anyone else's dog might not work for yours. Buy the smallest bag you can find of what you want to start trying and if the dog doesn't eat it or you don't like the results, then you aren't out much and you can donate the rest to a shelter. I swear this last year I have to have donated more food that didn't work out with my dogs to shelters than anyone else in my county. (laughs) I'm also not going to tell you what I feed my dogs. I haven gotten email from people mad at me for not saying what I feed my dogs, though this information is located elsewhere on my site. I don't want people buying a food just because I feed it. What you feed has to be your own choice. I'm just here to help you understand the choices so you can make a relatively informed decision.

I feed a high protein high fat diet to my dogs. I expect them them to work is some tough condition and this dier has proven benefitial for many dogs that work. High protein levels reduce soft tissue injuries, have not had one in one of the dogs since switching to a high protein diet, a high fat diet has proven to be a superiur fuel for working dogs as well. and the perform better in tough condition when on a high fat diet regardless of conditioning but of course a well conditioned dogs will perform better,

Many people will tell you how great wellness is and how nuch better their dogs do when fed it. I have tried different varieties on thre different occaion on different dogs with all the same result. It was the worse food I ever fed. My experience does not make wellness a bad food, or a high protein high fat diet the best one for your dog. The only thing that matters is how your dogs does when fed that food.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Have to agree with Mikey. We feed our dogs IAMS and some people would say that's one of the worst foods to feed them. But they've both done fantastic on it. Their coats are shiny, they don't smell houndy (although I'm not sure this has anything to do with food), and they honestly seem to enjoy it. Although they also don't mind when I mix it up with some gravy, chicken broth, or wet food :rolleyes:. But we fed Doppler the large breed IAMS puppy food and Virga, since she's so small, we fed her the regular IAMS puppy food. I'm not saying my dogs wouldn't do even better on a higher quality food but we just can't afford the really high quality foods right now. Maybe down the road. But Mikey is right. What's good for someone else's dog might not be right for yours. Just keep looking and go with your gut.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
i kept pawing at the Solid Gold bag "Barking at the Moon."
Probably more to to with the shiny blue bag but it is one of a variety of foODs i feed. Fischer the harrier tends to prefers more chicken and rice based food so it is not currently high on the rotation, it is High on Mariah's list however. but she gets like 1/2 a cup twice a day so while expensive the higher caloric content means you feed less so the cost in real terms is general not any more than some of the cheaper brands. I also feed Eukanuba, royal canin and Nutro and am alway on the look out for something else to add to the rotation. I not big on believeing the pet food manufactures that a single food is complete and balanced given the little we know of canine nutrition,

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I currently rotate between Eagle Pack and 4Health from Tractor Supply Co.
Boomer does fine on both.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Probably more to to with the shiny blue bag but it is one of a variety of foODs i feed.
Good thought, but nope... this happened just on the heels of Worm eating 1/5 of a bag of dogfood in the trunk of my car. he was quite confident he could get into this one too at the store, so much so that the guy at Petco made him stop... goin for Feast, part II.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I know just because my old dog did good on it that flash may not but I wanted to try. And again, I have to drive an hour or more away to get anything beyond purina basically here.

We always thought our dog was doing good on dog chow, he was a healthy weight, soft coat, etc...and then he had gotten sick and quit eating. So I bought a bag of the chicken soup stuff and he loved it. He looked like a whole new dog basically after awhile on it. Now we did have another rottie on it who couldn't handle the food at all-diarhea was bad no matter how slowly we would try to reintroduce it. She did great on some cheap store brand though, go figure!

Just trying to get some insight is all. See what works for others and kind of use that as a guide to try and figure this out. But now I better head to bed, flash is sleeping in his crate, cats are lounging on the couch and now its my turn :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, another question to add....I have noticed that there are more foods that are for "all life stages, puppies to seniors". what is everyone's take on that? I saw some Taste of the wild dog food like that today in my searching :)

Hey worm, did you know that turducken making company does make a puppy food? Didn't see one listed as large breed though. Just thought I would throw that out there, called puppy plate!

·
Registered
878 Posts
We fed our two pups Eukanuba Puppy food mixed with a little Butcher's Tripe tinned food and when we first had them, we moistened the dry food with a little warm water to soften it slightly, to help them eat it easier. When they were older they obviously ate the Eukanuba for adult dogs and since then we have often mixed Eukanuba with Iams as it seems very similar and buy both when they're on 'offer' as the prices vary considerably at times... and we also have a Spaniel as well as two Bassets to feed, and we still use Butcher's tripe in different flavours and they also like cooked veg and anything else that makes their dry food more palatable! Their coats are always nice and clean and shiny and they are 68lbs and 70lbs... quite big girls but not fat, just well built as they have always been very good eaters, whereas our last Basset was a fussy eater and not as big as the twins!

·
Registered
150 Posts
For those of you that use multiple foods..doesn't that upset the tummy? Like they say your supposed to feed only one brand and if your going to switch do it very slowly? Or I guess feeding the same mixture would be the same as feeding one brand?

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Like they say your supposed to feed only one brand and if your going to switch do it very slowly
Those that say you are supose to feed only one food are the dog food companies an it is in their best intrest if you feen only there food. The reason you need to switch a doog food over slowy to avoid problems is a dog feed exclusively one food develop a flora an funa in the gut capable of only digesting that foods. The flora and fuana to digest other food does not exist in significant quanities. If however you regular switch food the dog has a more blanced mix in the gut and can handle the change without a problem., even in the dog that is feed the same food for years if the formulation of a different brand is not radically different same protein source and carb source the dogs rarely have a problem switching IMHO the the having to switch over slowly is much over blown,

I do not fed a mixture of food but different brands and formulation I do not understand the idea it is best to feed dogs one formula for life when we say the oposite about humans that variety is escental because of what we don't know about nutrition and we know a hell of a lot more about human nutrition than dog nutrition.

The Myth of "100% Complete and Balanced" Processed Pet Foods
Think about it. Our world is complex beyond comprehension. It is not only largely unknown, it is unknowable in the “complete” sense. In order for nutritionists and manufacturers to produce a “100% complete and balanced” pet food, they must first know 100% about nutrition. But nutrition is most certainly not a completed science.

In fact, although nutrition is rapidly being developed as a science, it has always lagged behind the other sciences. This is in part because it is a field of study that has not stood side by side with the other sciences in universities. Rather, nutrition has more or less been considered an incidental branch of homemaking or some other applied field such as animal husbandry. Additionally, because of its almost infinite complexity, the science of nutrition is not easily developed.
The fact of the matter is that the “100% complete” claim is actually 100% complete guesswork. At best, one could say that such a claim is the firm possibility of a definite maybe.

As proof, consider that each time regulatory agencies convene to decide how much of which nutrients comprise “100% complete,” debate ensues and standards usually change. This not only proves that what they claimed to be 100% complete before was in fact not, but should also make us highly suspicious about what they now claim to be 100% complete.

So don’t believe the claim on any commercially prepared pet (or human) food that it is “100% complete and balanced.” It is a specious, unsupported boast intended to build consumer trust and dependence on commercial products—not create optimal health. It is a marketing slogan and nothing more.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
For those of you that use multiple foods..doesn't that upset the tummy? Like they say your supposed to feed only one brand and if your going to switch do it very slowly? Or I guess feeding the same mixture would be the same as feeding one brand?
Because my dogs are used to switching foods fairly frequently, as well as having occasional additives like chicken necks, eggs, liver, yogurt etc, their systems are accustomed to variety and they don't have issues when they eat something "different". It's when a dog has been eating the exact same thing for a long time that you run into difficulties switching (or if they eat something they shouldn't). Same as when humans shift their diets radically (eg, going completely to raw foods, vegan, low-carb/high-fat, increasing beans etc after eating the SAD) that they can have digestive issues until the body becomes accustomed to the new regime.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
There is also a school of thought that the lack of variety in diet may contribute to food allergies in dogs prone to them - increased exposure to the same proteins increase likelihood of allergy to that protein.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feed Toby the Taste of the Wild All Life Stages. I love it! He does wonderfully on it. (I also mix in Bravo complete). My understand of all life stages is that is suitable for puppies but youll be feeding a lot more on it, because it doesn't have the additional puppy "vitamins"

I also switch the protein within the brand pretty frequently from Bison to Salmon to fowl, and it doesn't bother Toby at all, but no guaranteeing for all. And my understanding that some vet's recommend switching food every 6-12 months

Turducken is made by Merrick.

I sell "High end" dog food and its my favorite topic, theres so much to it and sooo many opinions!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I feed Toby the Taste of the Wild All Life Stages. I love it! He does wonderfully on it. (I also mix in Bravo complete). My understand of all life stages is that is suitable for puppies but youll be feeding a lot more on it, because it doesn't have the additional puppy "vitamins"

I also switch the protein within the brand pretty frequently from Bison to Salmon to fowl, and it doesn't bother Toby at all, but no guaranteeing for all. And my understanding that some vet's recommend switching food every 6-12 months

Turducken is made by Merrick.

I sell "High end" dog food and its my favorite topic, theres so much to it and sooo many opinions!
I actually found that a store in town (farm n feed store lol) carries taste of the wild. I bought the bison flavor for flash, figured what the heck. OMG, he went ballistic when the bag was open and he could smell the food! I put just a small amount in with his puppy chow-he dumped the bowl and sniffed out the new stuff. I guess, as long as his tummy agrees, we have a winner! Supposed to be rated decently by dogfoodanalysis.com, he liked it, and I can buy it without traveling! Sounds like a winner to me :)

On the other hand, I do not think husband was impressed that I spent 23 bucks on a bag of food, cuz the puppy chow is much cheaper. Oh well! Hope flash does well on it and shows the husband ;)

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I do not think husband was impressed that I spent 23 bucks on a bag of food, cuz the puppy chow is much cheaper.
take a look at the kcal per cup for both brand you may find youn need to feed less of the taste of wild. I feed a high protein high fat diet while expensive per bag the high kcal per cups mean you feed a lot less and the bag last a lot longer so in the end there is very little price differentential.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I know Mikey. And if he would think about it, he knows it too! When we switched our rotties, a 20 (30?) lb bag lasted just over 2 weeks-whereas with the grocery store food, we were going through 2 18 lb bags a week! The cost ended up being cheaper for the more "expensive" food. But he tends to just suffer from sticker shock, not the fact that we are not buying it over and over each week.

The only bad effect we have with TOTW food is that both my cats want to eat it! Darn them-trying to keep flash out of their food and instead they steal his!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts