Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new puppy parent here. Lucy is 8w and we have so many questions. But first we are looking for the best food for her. There are so many choices now. One brand recommended was Authority (Petsmart brand) but I cannot find any good comparisons with it to others available. We gave our last doggie (shepard/sharpei mix) Heritage grain free. Others recommend have been Blue Buffalo, Fromm and Orijen. We don't want to break the bank but make sure it is good quality. We plan on phasing her from the one the breeder is currently feeding.

Any help on narrowing the selection is appreciated or any other ones we should consider.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
We're used to Hills -- my dear always chewing it with great pleasure, though we started with Blue Buffalo. Both are good but we just liked Hills more. Also, my parents feed their old greatdane with Blue Buffalo puppy food cause he can't digest the food he has always been eating anymore. So I'm sure that Blue Buffalo is of high quality. Orijen seems familiar to me too and I've heard good feedbacks about it.

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
Not sure Why you want to change the food the breeder was feeding. Genedrally speaking the breeder has gone through most of the trial and error to find what work for the genetic of her/his line at a reasonable cost. What works for one dog often does not work for another.

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
fwiw most dogs do much better on a high fat diet than a low fat one. Fat is a much better energy source for them, than carbohydrates which actual are not a requirement for them like fat and protein are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts