Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 15 week old puppy INHALES his food when we feed him. I know he eats enough. The vet says he's in great shape. We feed him 3 times a day, but we have to dole out his food slowly or he'll gulp it all down in one bite! We're afraid he'll get bloat.

Has any one else experienced this? Will he grow out of it? I don't remember our other basset eating like that when she was a puppy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
People often say put a rock in the bowl to slow the dog down but I never did that figuring it would create stress which is said to increase the likely hood of bloat. I did see something cool on the web that might work better than a rock.

For more info see Break Fast Doggie Bowl

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We use a very large dish (about 18" in diameter) so the food is spread out and they can't inhale it. It can cause problems when they eat too fast, so it's a good idea to make sure they can't. They sure won't do it without a little help from us poor humans.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My dog Lily was the same way when we first got her (she was 6 months old) , but she grew out of it. My dog Gibbs eats like that (he is 3 years old-he was a rescue and we think that has something to do with it), we are always around to monitor and we hope that he stops doing it. I've also considered getting that special bowl.

~Heather

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 10 week old puppy Toby is crazy over food. I can barely get the bowl down on the floor and then he inhales it. I don't think he is even chewing. I am concerned about it but am hoping this is something he will outgrow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the opposite problem. Woodrow has absolutely no interest in the food when I put it down. He does eat it, however, when no one is around. I just think that when there's someone else there, he is too busy playing or begging for attention to worry about food. Like I said, he eats most of it when no one is around, but alot of times there is food left in the bowl. He will inhale a milkbone, though. At first I was a little worried, but he is growing and gaining weight like he should, so I figure he will eventually become more interested in the food. He is getting fixed on Tuesday, and I am going to talk with the vet about going to one-a-day feedings. He is not quite 5 mos., though, so I'm not sure what the vet will say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts