Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! hope y'all are good.

Me and my husband are new owners and got a new basset on april this year. He is 4 months now, and as I am sure y'all know he is very very stubborn. He's been doing great with walks and we keep him motivated with treats and positive reinforcement. He loves to chew on random stuff that he finds on the floor, im guessing because he is still teething. We usually let him chew on the sticks and grass but when it comes to trash we try to strongly discourage it. BUT for the past week or so hes been getting very aggressive when we try to take something out of hes mouth. Last week he growled at my husband and this morning he growled at me, after trying for a while to make him drop it, i try to take it from his mouth and he bit me. He didnt break the skin because he doesn't have the jaw strengh yet, I think.

We are new owners and we are very very worried about this behavior, we want to get on front of it before it becomes a bigger issue.

If someone has experience this, i would love to know that we are not alone and how you trained your doggie. ANY help or advice is welcome

THANK YOU

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
if he wanted to break the skin he would have , that said you need to be teaching bite inhibition see,

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
"when we try to take something out of hes mouth. Last week he growled at my husband and this morning he growled at me, after trying for a while to make him drop it, i try to take it from his mouth and he bit me "

of course he did Just as you would if you had a friend that every time you had a particularly wonderful toy tried and take it from you force-ably. This is a lose lose situation. !. if the dog growls barks snaps or other desired behavor get you to stop he learns the growling biting and snap work. 2. IF he loses and you mange to force it from him he learns might makes right. You need to train the dog. to give things up Usually this starts as a trade

I find teaching the dog to tug very useful for this . The dog wants to pull and thrash about. when you want the dog to give up the toy hold it steady o it does not move. I usually use on and on each side of the moth but depending on how the dog has the toy in its mouth this is not always possible. Hold the toy stead do not let it move. soon the dog will decide hey this is boring and release the toy so it can do something more fun. when it does so praise the dog and start the game again. When you can anticipate when the dog is going to release the to you can start giving a cue like give or drop it just before the dog actually releases it. when it does so praise and begin play immeadeately.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts