Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My puppy, as expected, is going through the puppy biting phase. Probably everybody on this forum knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I live in Thailand. In Thailand there is a very strict rule - you do NOT wear shoes in the house. So there I am, walking around in bare feet.

The puppy has discovered my feet and loves trying to be underfoot and biting.

Here's how I cured it: I bought a spray bottle and filled it with vinegar. I gave each of my feet a shpritz of the vinegar. Next time the dog went after my feet he stopped dead in his tracks, rejected it, and hasn't been trying to bite my feet ever since.

The vinegar trick works on just about anything you don't want the dog biting or chewing. Don't spray the dog. Spray whatever it is you don't want the dog biting or chewing. You may have to repeat the spraying if it is something very tempting for the dog, but for me, most of the time one spray and the dog doesn't go anywhere near whatever it was again.

So, if you don't mind your feet, your arms, or whatever smelling a little bit like a salad for awhile, try the vinegar trick. It works beautifully for me and is totally harmless to the dog.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
actual it is not.

1. the biggest an most important thing you can train a puppy is bite inhibition, IT is the difference between life and death for most dogs.

2. bite inhibition need to be trained within the first 20 weeks of life for the pup to be reliable. try to teach it later in life is unreliable

3. Teaching the dog not to bite does not teach bite inhibition it actual interferes.

4. If you got a dog that does not like the taste of vinegar and that stops chewing etc you have a very rare dog. Taste adversives rarely work whether acidic/sour like vinegar or Bitter .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actual it is not.
the biggest an most important thing you can train a puppy is bite inhibition, IT is the difference between life and death for most dogs.

I am well aware of that. I didn't say to stop the puppy biting completely. I'm talking about stopping him biting and cutting my feet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts