Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.puppiesarebiodegradable.com/

For those interested, this is a link to a new Philadelphia art exhibit to raise puppy mill awareness. The exhibit is called Puppies are Bio-Degradable and runs July 6- 30th. Explanation of the exhibit title from exhibit web site:

"On January 11, 2005, a disturbing article appeared in the Lancaster County newspaper The New Era. John Spidaliere reported on a meeting of the West Hempfield Township Zoning Board where a farmer, Henry U. Stoltzfus, was applying for a permit to build a dog breeding facility in Lancaster County. David Zimmerman, a representative of the Professional Pet Breeders Association, spoke on behalf of Stoltzfus. Zimmerman and others from this association often guide farmers hoping to build high volume dog breeding kennels through the local zoning board process.

Concerned that Stoltzfus was building a "puppy mill" on his property, a neighbor asked Zimmerman what would happen to Stoltzfus's puppies if they are not sold. Zimmerman replied that the puppies would be killed...and that unsold dogs would be exterminated, composted and spread as fertilizer on fields. Zimmerman told the neighbor that they would be "left to rot" and that "they are biodegradable." "

Mary Gottfried

·
Registered
284 Posts
That is a terrible article and those pictures for sale are very disturbing for the most part. I wouldn't want to own one.

Louise Reynolds

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree- but that's what we deal here here in the puppymill states. It's an ugly industry.

There is a movement in Pa. to pass new laws that would would drive these folks out of business.

I worked on a petitiion last summer requesting the governor to support new anti-puppy mill legislation.
Everyone in Lancaster County, where I live and where the problem is out of control, understood immediately what a puppy mill was when I approached them-when I travelled to Philly to gather signatures at the entrance to a dog walking trail, about 1/2 of the dog owners didn't know what I was talking about. And Philly is only about an hour from some of the worst of these operations!

So I think this exhibit is doing what it's intended to do: raise awareness.

(If you click on 'exhibit' and 'view', you will see a basset in the 2nd painting by Rachel Ogden "Puppy Mill Mommy")

Mary Gottfried

1 - 4 of 4 Posts