Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I searched the forums and didn't see anything about this so thought I'd ask. My emma, who is 7, went in for her annual shots two weeks ago. They took a urine sample which showed protein in her urine. So then they ordered more tests...a CBC, and some other tests. Well, so far, the CBC is coming back showing elevated Red Blood Cells. I'm waiting for the vet to contact me with the rest of the test results (complete tick test thing).

Has anyone seen these things show up in your basset? Emma is not acting sick at all. This is a vet I've never been to before...had to find a new one when mine moved onto other ventures! Oh, and so far, with all these tests...we've spent $970...what the heck! That's a lot of money!

Like I said, I'm waiting for the call on the other results...but so far, they haven't said what it could even be. They mentioned high blood pressure (hers was high when they tested it on the 2nd visit)...and possibly Erlichia (which is some sort of tick thing) but other than that...I'm just waiting. So I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar thing happen. Not sure if I should get the results and find a different vet (doesn't it sound expensive?? franky, I was shocked at the cost...for just tests. I mean, there were heartworm pills in there, but that only accounts for about $100).

Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Protein in the urine may occur following vigorous exercise, fever, seizures, etc. Protein in the urine can also signal several other conditions, including infection, bleeding, inflammation of the urinary tract for other reasons such as stones/tumor, and kidney diseases of various types. An elevated RBC might signal dehydration due to vomiting/diarrhea/other causes or may be associated with conditions where tissues are chronically short of oxygen, as with some cardiac defects, for example, or with high altitude living. Some tumors are also associated with increased RBCs.

Canine and Feline Proteinuria: Diagnostic Approach in the Dog and Cat

1 - 3 of 3 Posts