Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 9 year old unnuetered male has developed a prostate problem. Possibly an infection or cancer according to the vet. Does anyone have any suggestions, etc or experience with this? Much thanks.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You didn't mention what symptoms your hound was experiencing but I hope he doesn't have cancer of the prostate. Older dogs frequently have enlarged prostate glands which makes the dog more susceptible to infection, cysts and abscesses of the prostate. I had an older dog who developed a prostate infection and symptoms included fever, depression and urine that was opaque with blood and pus. Antibiotic treatment cleared it up. We did do an ultrasound to see if this infection might be secondary to a malignancy.

I would follow the advise of your veterinarian about what tests he feels should be done.
Diagnosis of prostatic disease and discrimination between benign processes, prostatic infection, and cancer, may require a series of diagnostic tests. A complete blood count and urinalysis and x-rays may be the most helpful screening tests. Ultrasounds of the prostate and specialized dye studies offer useful information about the architecture of the prostate that may help to predict the severity of the disease. Bacterial cultures and analysis of prostatic fluid collected by ejaculation or prostatic wash procedures may reveal specifically the presence of bacteria and inflammatory cells to verify primary or secondary infection. Occasionally, tumor cells are recovered in this way. Urine cultures are frequently collected as well.
From Vetcentric,Is Your Dog’s Prostate Making Him Prostrate? There's a lot of additional useful information in this article.

Keep us posted. Sending positive thoughts that's it's an infection that readily responds to treatment.

[ August 06, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the syptoms you wrote are what he had. The strange thing is that it occured overnight. We should know today exactly what is wrong. Whether he has cancer, an infection or enlargned prostate. Was your dog nuetered as a result of his infection?

Thanks for the reply, it is terrible how attached you can get to these family members.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
There is now evidence to suggest that cancer of the prostate is more common in neutered dogs. Prostate cancer is not frequently seen and by the time it is diagnosed in the dog, it is usually in an advanced state. No PRA test for dogs as there is in men. For your reading pleasure ;) here's: Prostate problems in dogs

No my dog wasn't neutered because of my anesthesia phobia but it most likely would have prevented him from having an enlarged prostate in the first place as this is dependent on male hormones. If your dog has an enlarged prostate neutering will eliminate or certainly help that. Follow your vets advice here.

By the way the only reason my dog was intact in the first place was because a dog cannot be shown in conformation if neutered and his breeder wanted to use him in her breeding program. If I had it to do over again I would have neutered him at the age of 7 if not before.

His 2 infections cleared up with antibiotics. I hope you have some good news from the vet.

[ August 09, 2003, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts