Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monty is my first Basset i have had alot of dogs like boerbull, boxer, jack russels, foxterriers, but they were all females Monty is also my first male. I would like to know what you guys have personally experienced good or bad about neuturing your dogs? :)

Thanx

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Growing up I had 2 male dogs and have 1 male now. They have all been neutered. My dog Sparky (ATB) growing up was a humping machine...after neutering was just a little bit of a humper. I'm no expert, but I've heard that it keeps them calmer. I'm sure others could chime in with more insight.

~Heather

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've always gotten male dogs neutered for the health benefit. I don't know if it calms them down. I've heard that's not true??? I've also heard that if they hump after being neutered, it's not a sexual thing, it's a dominance issue. I remember my Maggie Mae's (ATB) father was never neutered and he ended up with testicular cancer. I spay females for health reasons also.

·
Registered
773 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to not neuter unless a dog is being used for breeding. I had to leave Charlie intact until he finished his Championship, but he's neutered now. He gained no weight, something I've heard used as a (lame) excuse to not have a dog neutered, but he did stop lifting a leg on the furniture. And I'm not as concerned about the health risks that go along with intact dogs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I choose not to neuter. As you might have seen on some of the picutres
that I have posted. :p My dog is always on a leash when were out, so
the chances for an accident are minimal.

I chose to keep him intact, in case a responsible breeder (not me!) would
like to breed him. Another reason is that I love his demeanor just as it is,
and I really will not take the risk of him changing his personality just a
little bit. Oh yes, and he don't pay much attention to bitches in heat.
All in all I have no reason to neuter him, so I don't.

Oh, and it's illegal no neuter dogs in Norway, if it does not have a medical problem.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
My Moe was an insame pup and we were told that nuertering him would calm him down. It didn't. :blink: He remained totally and completely insane for several more years. But we later learned that there were other health benefits so that's good enough for me. Anything that I can do to keep him with us longer (without compromising the quality of his life, that is) is worth it to me. I'd be lost without him...

The only bad thing about nuetering was how terrible I felt while Moe was recovering from the surgery. He was so dramaticly pitiful! I actually called several vets trying to get someone (ANYONE) to give us some sort of pain-reliever to help him feel better. I was told by all three vets I called that some pain would keep him from over-doing things, thus speeding up the recovery, and not to worry. Sure enough, by the next day he was back to his wild-and-crazy self... so much so that my husband asked "what else can we have removed?". ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Both of ours, Bogie Carter and Bubba (ATB), were neutered. They were both out of a show kennel, and when the breeder let's her hounds go for pets you must agree to have them neutered, which we did. Bubba was eight months when we got him and had him neutered a month later. Bogie was ten months when we got him, and he was neutered at eleven months. Our vet wanted to give them time to bond with us and settle in before she neutered them. Both of them did great, the only problem was keeping them inactive for a couple of days. Thank goodness for the crate.
Bogie has a wonderful temperment, has never humped, and is a wonderful companion, as was Bubba.

Our neighbors down the street have a male German Shorthaired Pointer entact male, who is forever getting out when the other neighbors down the street who have female Labs that go into heat. I would say neuter, plus you will never have to worry about testicular cancer or having a frustrated male on the hunt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We had Hoss neutered.
With all the poor homeless animals in the world, it's a necessity.

I've heard so many people say, "My dog never gets out or never gets near a female." and then next it's "My doggie is a daddy. Ooops!"

·
Registered
939 Posts
i don't do it because i can't,the AKC will not allow them to field trial if they are.i think when i here all the rubbish about health issues is the reason why i do it is just BULL.43 years of Bassets and never seen or heard of any of our field dogs have " nugget cancer". it don't mean that it has happened,just that i don't recall any one talking about it. to me it's a needless operation to put your ANIMAL through,unless there is a health issue.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
i don't do it because i can't,the AKC will not allow them to field trial if they are.i think when i here all the rubbish about health issues is the reason why i do it is just BULL.43 years of Bassets and never seen or heard of any of our field dogs have " nugget cancer". it don't mean that it has happened,just that i don't recall any one talking about it. to me it's a needless operation to put your ANIMAL through,unless there is a health issue.[/b]
Pinehawk, you have a valid reason for not neutering and that's okay. I'm sure you do something to prevent indescriminate breeding (don't you?). Others may have valid reasons not to neuter also. But I believe neutering is very important for the majority of pet dogs, especially those who live in more populated areas where they are likely to come in contact with an un-spayed female sooner or later. Almost every house in our neighborhood has a dog. Most of my neighbors contain thier dogs in some way or another, both for the dogs safety and to prevent nuisance situations (we have a leash law in our town). Most of those dogs have been "fixed" but one quarter mile down the road is the line to a little town that has no leash law. Loose dogs, some not "fixed", wander our way all the time. I am thankful Moe is neutered and contained. I am also thankful that good breeders require pet dogs to be spayed or neutered... ignorant or inexperienced people have no business "breeding" thier dogs. It's irresponsible and can be risky to the dog in question. Don't you agree?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
If you don't want puppies and don't want to contribute to the horrific pet overpopulation problem, then neuter.

I say visit your local shelter or read up on all the cases of animal abuse and neglect in your area --- that should tell you everything you need to know. :(

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I was under contract to Vinny's breeder to have him castrated. I bought him to show but as he grew it became apparent that he was no competition for the other dogs. His shoulders were too far forward for one thing and just this one thing affected his gait, and his sternum. So under the conditions of the contract he was neutered. I was a little aprehensive because I've never owned a castrated male and have heard all the stories too. When the procedure was done he came home the same day and it has not changed him a bit. Vinny is still happy- go- lucky Vinny. He didn't bother his stitches or have any post surgcial problems. I'm keeping an eye on his weight. Vin is 3 years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Terry, i find it hard to believe that there are towns with out leash laws.My dogs are intact and there is no way that they can come in contact with any females unless it's for the sole purpose to breed.even at trials they are separated from bitches.my kennels are secure,there should never be a accident here unless i start breeding for fence jumping champions instead of field champions. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts