Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning guys. although this question is not exactly for a basset, it can be used for any breed.

I had a female whelp on Thursday evening. She had an excellent delivery and is doing a great job however her milk is not coming in like other females I have whelped.

She is fed free choice dry INUKSHUK 26/16 kibble, along with soaked in warm water kibble offerings throughout the day. she seems to be hungry and eats about 6 cups daily. ( normal ration is 3 cups daily) She has fresh cold water 2x a day. she seems vibrant and happy with her new children.

I have raised litters on this food for 4 years.

this is her first litter

I am asking for any advice or things you do in your litters to ensure your female is producing enough milk for her pups. I have weighed all pups at birth and last evening ( 24 hours after birth) there weights are as follows.

pup birth oz. 24 hr old oz
1 14.7 15.8
2 15.6 16.5
3 14.3 15.1
4 16.5 17.7
5 16.2 17.1
6 15.6 16.6
7 15.4 17.2

I know they all gained about the same and that is excellent. but looking at her.. she has no udder. she looks like a normal dog. I am hoping to get some quality advice from others on what I can do for her. I have never had to go through this in 14 years of hound ownership. all of my females have produced more than enough. Maybe I shouldn't worry until they stop gaining.. then I will know they are not getting enough.

dams weight is 45 lbs. therefore pups should be gaining 1.59 oz a day. they are a little lower than that...

thanks for all of your input. looking forward to gaining more knowledge from you.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
She is fed free choice dry INUKSHUK 26/16 kibble, along with soaked in warm water kibble offerings throughout the day. she seems to be hungry and eats about 6 cups daily. ( normal ration is 3 cups daily) She has fresh cold water 2x a day. she seems vibrant and happy with her new children.

I have raised litters on this food for 4 years.

this is her first litter

I am asking for any advice or things you do in your litters to ensure your female is producing enough milk for her pups. I have weighed all pups at birth and last evening ( 24 hours after birth) there weights are as follows.

pup birth oz. 24 hr old oz
1 14.7 15.8
2 15.6 16.5
3 14.3 15.1
4 16.5 17.7
5 16.2 17.1
6 15.6 16.6
7 15.4 17.2

I know they all gained about the same and that is excellent. but looking at her.. she has no udder. she looks like a normal dog. I am hoping to get some quality advice from others on what I can do for her. I have never had to go through this in 14 years of hound ownership. all of my females have produced more than enough. Maybe I shouldn't worry until they stop gaining.. then I will know they are not getting enough.

dams weight is 45 lbs. therefore pups should be gaining 1.59 oz a day. they are a little lower than that...

thanks for all of your input. looking forward to gaining more knowledge from you.
Weight aside, how are the puppies in themselves? If they are noisy she may not have enough for them but if they are quiet, and gaining too, they are probably taking enough, for now. If necessary, and as you'll know, nursing does encourage lactation, you may have to supplement these pups. Up her protein content and don't ignore taking your vet's advice much as many don't have hands-on experience of a nursing bitch.

Another thought - all too often bitches produce more milk than newborn puppies can cope with so if they are draining her AND CONTENT, I'd not be panicking. Better this than her having lashings of milk, and running to mastitis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. Since my original post, halo( bitch) has began to produce more. the puppies are gaining 1.5 or more oz per day for the last two weigh ins.

they do not seem to be noisy and look great. I was hesitant to jump right into supplementing them as I wanted them to ask for the demand from her. I felt if I supplemented them too soon, maybe they wouldn't ask for enough from her and she would not supply the adequate milk.

I did pick up some chicken and am supplementing her with that when she thinks is just great. her underside is looking a bit more like a mother.. but not much:)

and yes. good thought on overproduction. I never thought of it that way. I think ill be content with how she is doing and not wish for more. the littles are gaining, warm, quiet, and seem happy:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts