Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased Droopy, a 5-week-old puppy, and have some issues with him. A trip to the vet revealed blood in his stools and a possible neurological issue. The blood seems to be from his intestines and is being medicated for that issue with antibiotics and a special diet. The more disturbing issue is at times he seems normal, but then he starts limping and can't hold his head up. When he eats, it seems once he lowers his head to the bowl, he can't stand or lift his head out of the bowl. He takes spells where he just staggers forward while pushing his head on the floor. Does anyone have any experience with or heard of anything like this. We are on our way back to the vet shortly for a full blood screen. :(

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Incoordination can be associated with many conditions, from simple puppy clumsiness to serious illness. The facts that your puppy has GI problems and is too young to be have been sold are worrisome. :( Please let us know what your vet finds.

T

·
0 Posts
I think 5 weeks is probably the youngest I've ever heard of a puppy being sold. I'm sorry I have no advice for you. Please let us know what's happening. I know you probably just need to concentrate the puppy right now, but, boy, I'd be all over whoever I purchased him/her from when the crisis passes.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the vet was "upset" [politely put] that Droopy was sold at 5 weeks. Last Thursday, he was wormed and given a 7-way vaccine. A component in the vaccine, Lepto, is causing the problem with Droopy. It is a neurological issue. He can't hold up his head at times, looses control of his front limbs, is causing his right eye to sag and has messed up his digestion tract. He swells up severely after eating [like he has swallowed a softball]. She is starting him on meds to try and counter the effects of the vaccine. She does not know if the effects are permanent or temporary, only time will tell. Will keep you updated on Droopy's progress. :(

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If it's the lepto component, you can request that it be excluded from future vaccinations. Do you live in an area where leptospirosis is a problem?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'm so sorry- Even though you've had her such a short time I'm sure you are already attached and worried sick about your baby. Sending many prayers your way- Wendy

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
What a terrible thing for you and Droopy to be going through. My prayers are with you and we are sending drool to Droopy. I am so releived your vet has figured out what is causing the probelm and is treating it.

I hope she gets better very soon.

Chris

T

·
0 Posts
Very glad your vet's figuring out what's going on with Droopy. Poor little guy.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
939 Posts
you will need to get the Lepto,BUT NOT AT 5 WEEKS OLD. your lucky your pup is not dead!!!!! we don't give a pup a shot until 6 weeks old and in some cases you don't have to start until 16 weeks old because of the antibodies they get from the bitches milk. we do the first shot at 6 weeks old , 5 way puppy shot with Coronavirus shot also. 8 weeks another 5 way puppy shot w/ another corona and lepto combo. than at 12 weeks a 7 way shot. some will than at this point stop giving shots until they are 1 year old and than they get another 7 way. some may give another 7 way at 6 months old but i feel that is over kill. P.S. and one more thing i forgot to add... who in there right mind would sell a pup this young???? that is just plain wrong!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoke with the vet yesterday afternoon and got a good report. Droopy is showing signs of improvement. His belly is not swelling as bad when he eats, his episodes are decreasing and they said he is getting "fiesty". They gave another round of meds to him last night and we will see how it affects him. One other problem has occured... he is spoiled! He is whinning when you put him down, so now all the employees are carrying him around. Thanks for your concern and prayers. I will keep you updated on his progress. :D

·
Registered
773 Posts
No puppy deserves this, nor do the people at the other end of the leash. I hope your vet can pull Droopy through this with no permanent disabilities.

That said, Droopy's breeder ought to be shot :evil: !

M

·
0 Posts
I agree that the breeder is not a good person! I hope Droopy makes a full recovery!

B

·
0 Posts
.so sorry about ALL U are going thru with droopy. I have gotten behind on reading posts, so this is 1st time reading this. I know we can love a puppy in one day's time. Please consider having Vet write or call the Breeder??? and demand payment for present and any future problems relating to this same med. problem. If that doesnt work I would report them. Tummy Boy's Mom.((hugs)).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Droopy is home! He is doing much better. His episodes are decreasing and seem to be less severe. He can now stand and eat out of his bowl without loosing control and falling. He seems to tire and loose some control when playing, but he is doing 75% better. He is still on meds for the next week until his next check up. We are giving him 50 mg. of Benadryl twice daily for the "allergic reactions".

He is playing and acting more like a puppy. Our only problem was getting him away from the vet....they wanted to keep him! They think he is the cutest thing they have ever seen. I think everyone there toted him around while working.

The breeder has been contacted and informed about the problems with Droopy. He was informed of our vet's suggestions of when and what to vaccinate the puppies with. Whether it happens or not, I don't know. If he cares about the puppies and is not just breeding for the money, he will change his methods. He has seemed to be real concerned about Droopy and has contacted us almost every day.

AKC needs to pass/adopt rules forbidding breeders from selling puppies before 8 weeks of age and set guidelines on how, when and what to vaccinate puppies with. Then enforce the regulations with an "Iron fist". There is no need for this type of incident to happen.... If they could see the video I shot of one of Droopy's seizures, if they have a heart, they would implement regulations immediately. It is one of the most heart wrenching things I have ever seen.

I will keep you posted on Droopy's progress. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update....COMPLETE RELAPSE! Droopy just ate breakfast, had another seizure and now can't walk... :(

T

·
0 Posts
Many prayers for Droopy. I don't know what else to say. :cry: Poor guy.

Janet 'n Twinkie

B

·
0 Posts
Update....COMPLETE RELAPSE

Oh Noooooooooo!!!. Sending good thoughts and drool that this poor little innocent puppy can survive. Tummy Boy's Mom :cry: .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts