·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone..
My beautiful Jessy is 9 years old
and we noticed that recently she has hard times
get up,and even cries.
We did an X-Ray which showed problems in the lower back area.
Do you know if there any exercise
or any facility to ease the condition?

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
a lot depends on the actual problem spndylosis, intervertabrate disc disease etc.

however the one singular step that help regardless of cause it keeping the dog weight down.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You could also check into some dog chiropractic care as well. I know of an agility person here who swears by it with her dogs and she has bassets ranging from 4-10 years old who are still doing agility. Just a thought but I imagine that yes it would depend on what the problem is.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have heard of someone using hydro therapy for a basset hound that had back problems. They go to a normal physical therapy place with a tub and slowly fill the tub up with water until the dog is swimming. I am not sure how it all works but might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi The treatment will depend on the diagnosis and recommendations of your pooch's vet. It is good that your dog has made you aware when she is in pain so you know and can put in place some preventative measures. Basset's tend to have a tendency to 'thicken' with age - not sure whether yours might be carrying a few extra pounds but might be a good time to start a seniors diet to keep those pounds in check. The other thing I would strongly recommend is to avoid where at all possible any steps Jessie may be needing to encounter. Jumping on and off couches or beds is only going to aggravate the problem and her pain. And it might be a good time to consider purchasing a ramp for making getting in and out of the car easier for her etc. Unfortunately bassets are notorious for developing back problems. I have heard of injections that can be given for jointmuscle pain but it really does depend on what and where is the specific problem in terms of what can be done to hopefully relieve her of further ongoing pain. Please let us know how things develop

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Normally several weeks of strict rest is beneficial to back problems, however it's difficult to make a recommendation without knowing what the problem is.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Going out on a limb but what I did not notice in the origanal post is the x-ray. unless a dye is used an x-ray will not general be a diagnostic tool for disck problems but artritis and spondylosis will clearly be evident. If either of the later mild exercise, weight reduction an prudent use of pain medication are basical the traditional treatment options. acupucture can help as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts