Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have Gigi, one of them has to be on the lead that's attached to the deck and the other on a regular leash when both want to go out at once for just a potty break, as they did when I came home for lunch today. So, Gigi got the lead and George got the leash and we wandered round and round and round the yard while he anointed every blade of grass. Whichever one you put on the lead complains loudly that he/she isn't on the leash ...

Anyway, our yard is simply THICK with mosquitoes this year. It's awful -- we can hardly go out there at all, and George, being George, refuses to do his business and come back in. He wants to wander and wander and if you urge him to come back to the house, he gets stubborn. The skeeters were hanging around him in CLOUDS, it was appalling, and I tried to shoo them away but there were too many and they had to be biting him, because they were biting me. Now he's scratching like fury and I'm guessing it's mosquito bites. So here's the stupid question -- I know mosquitoes do bite dogs, but do those bites itch as much as mine do? I don't want to give him a Benadryl, as I would for his skin allergies, if he's scratching mosquito bites. I try not to use that if I can help it because it makes him groggy and because I just don't like giving him medicine unless I have to. Or should I go ahead and give him Benadryl for mosquito bites?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really don't about giving him something for itchies from the bites. I just hope that he is up to date on his heartworm! We have had terrible mosquitos this year too. I've noticed 2 of mine scratching which they usually don't and I didn't even think of mosquito bites. Thanks!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's up to date on heartworm. Just had his annual checkup two weeks ago and they tested him then and we had a preventative dose that day. Gigi, too.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I can't say if this works or not, but it's a bandana that you tie around the dogs neck. We ordered one of these for Bogie to wear when we go camping. Hopefully it will fend off the mosquitos,etc. You can get it at Orvis.com for $15.00, and it's called "BUZZ OFF" Insect Shield Bandana. The ad states that it protects from ticks and biting insects, and they come in tan, blue, and red. I do know that we have "BUZZ OFF" shirts that we wear, and they work great. With the drought in South Dakota this year, mosquitoes were not an issue while camping, so we have not used the bandana on Bogie.
I know this doesn't help with the itching question, but it might help with prevention of further bites.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When we lived in FL, Ruby would ONLY run out to do her business. We had a screed in lanai which is imperative there and she'd be outside, but protected from the bugs.

Ask your vet about what to take. I'd give advice on what we gave Ruby but we know what happened when I gave advice on that last time.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gave George a Benadryl last night -- you wouldn't believe how many pieces of cheese and hot dog it took before he finally gave in and swallowed it instead of spitting it out -- and it didn't seem to help much at all. Rats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts