Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shes a strange Hound.. but man we sure do love her..she is the center of our family now and we couldnt live without her..it was rough going in the beginning..but either we trained her..or she has trained us (probably the later) We can't remember life before Presley..even though we still miss our old dear friend Elvis everyday..I think he would have loved Presley..but she would have way to much energy for him... she already uses some of his old tricks.. and she has tons of new ones as well.. I just wanted to let everyone know we are doing well..and Presley keeps it interesting.

Love your Bassets

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
What the heck is that little rodent? Here's Bo with my grandson's ferret. He was fasinated with it, wanted to play with it, but it was waaaay to fast for him.
You should post more often, we enjoy your pictures... :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
It isn't a rodent, is it? I think it looks like an opossum, and an American at that.
They look like such fun creatures, especially with their backs loaded with wee ones.

And yes, the basset is lovely to. In my minds eye I see a basset running like crazy with a mad 'possum attatched to his long ears.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I was thinking about Pressley the other day - glad to hear that she is getting you well trained.

Your lady is definitely photogenic. Glad everything is going so well.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
We don't have opossums up here, so I just didn't recognize it. :roll:
It's cute tho, looks like he's saying, BACK OFF, or you'll be sorry! And Presley is just lovely. No wonder you love her.

Sandy

·
Registered
511 Posts
The look she gives is like,
"OK, I have it backed up against the wall. Now what do you want me to do?"

M

·
0 Posts
Be careful of that opossum. My German shepherd corned an adult one in our yard. That thing was nasty. They have VERY sharp teeth! It bite him on the nose deep. He actually had to have the tip of his nose surgically glued on. It also bite him on the side of his mouth and left a huge gash. He was rushed to the Vet and also got his lip stitched up. They revacinnated him because they can carry rabies. NOT CUTE ANIMALS!!! Presley is beautiful!! Post more pictures of her!!

J

·
0 Posts
Is that thing real???

Speaking of opossoms, my aunts dogs catch them & they of course play dead. Then they bring them through the dog door into the house in the middle of the night, where they 'come to life' and run around. Creepy!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Possums can be very nasty. I would watch out for momma. We had a big one that kept walking on top of our fense to get to the neighbors my two would go nuts. It didn't play possum it growled and hissed. I went out with a long pole and made it get out of our area. It came back several times and then disappeared. I sure didn't want my dogs messing with it.
Steph

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
opossum

First let me say Thank you for your concerns toward my hound... I am from the Mountains of Eastern Kentucky where opossum's are plenty... I know first hand how mean, nasty and disease ridden they are. This was a controlled situation that was a "right place right time" event.
It started like this... For several days every time I let Presley out she barked the entire time. and when I called for her to come in she wouldn’t come(unusual for her because she loves A/C) finally I walked out into the back yard and saw this little fellow run under the lawn mower, well at least now I knew why she was barking and wanting to stay outside... I also knew I had to get rid of it and any others because they can tear a dog up. I was outside a few day later taking pictures of something in the garage when Presley(who has always got to be out in the garage with me) starts barking (more than the usual) so I turn the corner and find the little fellow backed up to the garage. So I take a bunch of pictures while making sure Presley kept her distance, I then caught the opossum in a box and drove him out to the country... Presley or I have yet to see the mother or other siblings and it’s been months now. Presley felt important because she aided it the capture of an extremely dangerous baby opossum :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
We had a whole family of possums living under a corner of the house and the dogs were simply FASCINATED (this was when Rosie was still with us) but the one thing those possums did NOT want was to encounter a couple of fascinated dogs, so they kept their distance. Hubby says they're nothing but overgrown rats and I suppose they are, but I do think they're cute. Ours moved away as soon at the babies were big enough and they haven't come back. I do know they can be nasty but ours just happened to be intimidated.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I was wondering how Presley was doing. She sure turned into a beauty! Daisy & Sally cornered an opossum in my parent's yard once - they were very pleased with themselves, but not sure what to do with it once cornered. We congratulated them & let the critter go about it's business. For those not familiar - they are marsupials just like kangaroos & koalas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts