Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

Yesterday after work I came home to a horrible smell. After checking Lucy's crate, I found she had poo'd in the very far corner. Not to be gross but it looked a little like mucous. She is in the crate from 8am to 3pm but is a year old now and hasn't had ANY accidents of this nature in the crate EVER. This morning again (she's sleeps in the recliner at night).. there was a pile (loose) on the carpet. She hasn't had any different food and as far as I know hasn't gotten into anything she shouldn't. She doesn't seem sick as she's still playing and eating fine.

I'll call the vet if it happens again but has this ever happened to anyone? Just out of the blue? She has never done this in the house.. pee yes, but not poo.

Thanks for your help as always!

A

·
0 Posts
Are you sure she didn't get something? that's what it sounds like don't feed her for 24 hrs Then if she isn't ok I'd take her to the vet

A

·
0 Posts
My Basset has never done that but my Shih Tzu did. I was told that his glands needed to be cleaned ...that's where it came from. Each time it happened, I took it as a sign that it was time for a vet visit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Horrible smell (not usual poo smell) and mucous? Gotta be anal glands. I'm no vet, but if it continues, it would be off to the vet for "expression"...I've had that with mine once, but know for some this can be a recurring need. In which case it can get expensive; I wouldn't want to have to learn to do this myself, but I undestand it can be. Not sure but I think some food substitutions may help. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts