Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there...I was just seeking the advice of anyone who has whelped a litter before. My females temp has been below 100 degrees for two days now but she is still digging. Goind from her first day of heat she would have whelped on th 22nd...does anyone have any advice on a "for sure sign" that whelping is iminent? I think we are both very anxious. Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,559 Posts
I don't know anything about breeding, but it sounds like you may be inexperienced at this, so I would suggest calling your vet and asking this question, along with questions about any other concerns you have. I think a vet you can trust would be your best resource at this time. Good luck with the whelping.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,042 Posts
I would have had her to the vet by now. Have her checked over to make sure nothing is wrong. There is no point in taking chances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We took her to the vet about 3 weeks ago and he said everything was progressing as planned. I talked to him again today and we have a standing appointment later this week(Friday) if nothing happens before then. thanks everyone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Waiting until Friday could result in dead puppies. Please have her checked ASAP......
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,042 Posts
I second that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
939 Posts
you can't go by the "first day of heat" it's the day they are breed on. any where between 59-63 days.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,042 Posts
you can't go by the "first day of heat" it's the day they are breed on. any where between 59-63 days.[/b]
True, but her temp's been down for 4 days now.

Primary inertia's nothing to fark around with. I'd rather go to the vet on a false alarm than lose puppies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
It has been my understanding, but I'm not an expert, that when the temp. falls below 100, puppies are coming with in 24 hours. I'd take her to the vet ASAP. Better to be on the safe side for Mom and babies.
Sally
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
939 Posts
not knowing what to do and asking on a message board is nothing to fark around with. how old is the bitch any way? and what day she was tied on would be a big farking help so you can have a slight clue as to what day she will give birth. 4 days is to long to wait.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,042 Posts
Hopefully by now she has had her puppies.

Sure would be nice if people would research this stuff BEFORE deciding to breed.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
Any chance of getting an update? Has she had her puppies yet? Is everything ok?

Yes, what happened?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top