Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Bubba's herniated disc story on the regular forum. The vet put him on prednisone on Monday and mentioned Bubba would be thirsty and pee alot. He is really drinking the water and as a result goes , and I mean "really goes" to pee about every two to three hours. We were up and down with him at night these past two nights to take him out to pee about three times each night (10:30, 1:30, 3:30, 5:30 etc.. Can he overdrink(is there such a word)water? We are letting him have as much as he wants and as a result lots of potty trips. He'll pee come in and drink a half a bowl full of water. Just wondered if anyone had similiar experiences with prednisone. Thanks!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes they do pee a lot on prednisone. This could be because his blood glucose is higher than normal. It would be unlikely he could drink too much. If this thirst and urination does not decrease after off of the steroids you might have his blood sugar tested, but remember it is summer and they can drink A LOT. I hpoe he is feeling better! He sounded miserable and so did you! Get rest. yvonne

·
Registered
622 Posts
Use of steroids can precipitate diabetes in dogs with a borderline blood sugar...excessive thirst and urination (also increased appetite but weight loss) are the early symptoms in dogs. If this persists after the pred. is weaned/stopped I ask about a blood sugar check

Judy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wally is also on Prednisone! twice a day..and drinking like a fish!!! honestly didn't have a clue!! We are treating Wally for Yeast ear infection (happy happy joy joy!)... so yes..I know misearble..

and eating... ? boy oh boy... he has even taken to the taste of the cat food when we can't get his food to him fast enough! ::eye roll: BASSETS! GOTTA LOVE 'EM! :D

Good luck with Bubba...I feel your pain...I'm actually up now.. taking a pee break! LOL!
well Wally is... but he takes his time...so here I am! :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts