Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( HEY YA'LL!

I'M THE NEWBY HERE-

HAVEN'T HAD A PUPPY IN A LONG TIME. REFRESH MY MEMORY ON HOW TO POTTY TRAIN A PUPPY TO GO OUTSIDE OR IN ONE PLACE CONSISTENTLY ON NEWSPAPER OR PUPPY PADS. I AM SO FRUSTATED! I LIKE TO KEEP A CLEAN, FRESH SMELLING HOUSE. PLEASE HELP!

KENDRA

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome to the board Kendra! My basset was actually very good & a fast learner, but I hear that some bassets can be especially challenging to potty train. It's important to note that in general bassets are *not like* other dogs in many ways. Potty training & the whole "obedience" thing especially.

After any activity (eating, sleeping, playing, drinking) I would take José outside and when he would go, I would be so crazy happy and praise him. He caught on pretty quick but with bassets you can't slack... you need to go out A LOT so they can't slip up.

I trained him to go on paper the same way, outside I would put a piece of newspaper down and let him go on it and also get all excited. If I ever had to leave him for a bit I confined him in the tiled puppy-proof kitchen & put newspaper by the door we would leave from. I never really liked crates. I confined him to a room, with a bed on one side & potty papers on another, plus some toys.

I'm a little worried about your love of a "clean fresh smelling house" because bassets might have been put on this planet to obliterate that... Good luck with the shedding and drooling!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Y'all ?!....Are from the South too?! We're from Georgia.

Nugget was a little slow to train but she's doing good now. Rarely has an accident. Will "ask" to go outside and will go on puppy pad if she has to go while I'm at work.

Funny incident happened a few weeks ago...It is extremely rare for her to poop on her puppy pad...she'll always go outside to do that. Well, we were gone for a couple of hours later in the evening and didn't notice that she had pooped under the table (which is where she will hide and do it on the very few occassions this has happened). ...anyway...the next morning, I was quietly having coffee in the living room and she brings me a piece of dried up poop! I jumped up to get paper,etc...and before I could get that disposed of, she brings me the other piece of poop! It was almost as if she were saying..."Hey Mama, if you're not going to clean this up, I'm going to have to bring it to you myself...I can't stay in here with this stuff on the floor"!

I can't say my house always smells clean and fresh...my 17 year old athlete son takes care of creating lots of odor around here...but I've noticed that mopping the floor with a white vinegar solution helps ALOT! Also, I try to wash throw rugs and I use a blanket on one sofa and a fitted sheet on another that I was frequently. Keeping Nugget bathed regularly too. She's not much of a drooler other than slopping water out of her bowl.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts