Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sophie will be 1 year in a few weeks. While my husband and I are away we leave her in the kitchen and put up baby gates. We always take her out to pee right before we leave. But lately we have come home to find huge puddles of pee underneath the kitchen table. I've cleaned the tile and grout with everything, including nature's miralce, bleach, ammonia, vinegar. But no matter what I use to clean the area and remove the odor, she always goes back to the same spot under the table and pees. Is it unrealistic to expect her to hold it for 5 to 6 hours or is that asking too much from a puppy her age?

A

·
0 Posts
In our situation, Molly was not able to go that long until she was more around 18 months old. Have you considered crate training? That was the one thing that truly helped us with potty training her. Our Lab took about 2 seconds to house train. Not Molly. She will turn 4 this summer and still cozies up in her crate--partly because she cannot be trusted :) and partly because she likes it.
Just a thought...
Jennifer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now we have her crate in the same gated area in the kitchen. And like Molly, she really likes laying in her crate. We only recently decided to open the crate door and give her a larger gated area to roam around while we were out. But cleaning up pee every single day when I get home is getting really old and I'm afraid it's become a habit, not just an occasional accident. I guess I'll have to go back to leaving her crated until she gets a little older. Thanks for the advice!

A

·
0 Posts
Was she ok in the crate? We too allowed Molly to stay out for periods to only find her destroying things. So back into the crate she went.
I do think though that Bassets take a bit longer to totally house train than other dogs. I remember reading this when we were having similar frustrations. Good luck! Hang in there.
Jennifer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts