Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hilarious/lovable basset puppy named Flannagan. One major problem...potty training. I've had dogs all my life and never had this big of a problem training a dog. I crate trained her very easily, and I take her out as soon as she leaves her crate and she does her business, but then we go inside and I'll feed her and then I'll take her on a long walk. The first thing she does when she gets back inside, before she even drinks some water is take a huge deuce on my carpet, right in front of me! She look right at me while she's doing it! She doesn't care! I tell her no and take her back outside but she loves going outside so I think she thinks we are going out to play!! I've tried giving her treats when she goes outside, but that just made her think that she deserved a treat any time she went (including inside...shed run over to the fridge where we keep the treats and whine) please help!!!! We are moving into a new apartment and I don't want a ruined carpet! Any ideas???

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
How old is the dog, I have not seen a basset I would consider House trained younger than the age of Six months. A year is more typical. It is my belief when compared to other breed that are slow to mature in the area of sphincter control that is quite simply they can't hold it as well.

some water is take a huge deuce on my carpet, right in front of me! She look right at me while she's doing it! She doesn't care!
Why should she.
It is quite obviouse that all the accident in the house has greate a her to have a substrate prefference for carpet. that is she prefers carpet under her feet when she goes. It can be changed see House Training Your dog

I've tried giving her treats when she goes outside, but that just made her think that she deserved a treat any time she went (including inside...shed run over to the fridge where we keep the treats and whine) please help
If she is running ftoward the fridge for treat it is obvious the were not used porperly ifor housetraining. You need to deliver the treat to the dog while she is going or just after less than one second she has finshed. If you wait until She comes in you are rewarding comming inside not peeing. To associate peeing outside with the reward the must occur close enough together less than one second for an association to be formed. can an association be formed with a bigger delay of course but all that happen between the delay is being rewarded as well which is not at all what you want. You want a clear distinction.

so I think she thinks we are going out to play!!
Create a spot in limited size where she is to go. Keep her on leash and do not interact with her or let her wonder etc make it as boring as possible until she goes. another option is an enclosure that accoplishes the same thing see Potty Training Tip

go inside and I'll feed her and then I'll take her on a long walk. The first thing she does when she gets back inside, before she even drinks some water is take a huge deuce on my carpet, right in front of me
As we have already ascertained she has a preffernece for carpet. What she has learned however is when getting out of the crate if i Go outside I get fed no biger reward than that so she will make the exception. On the long walk she will hold it to go were she perfers to go. Keeping in mind that the act of eating is going to spur the need to defficate the order should be this dog eats goies out side relieves it self and the reward for doing that outside is then the longwalk.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
We are having a heck of a time training ours too. He's 10 months old, and is proving to be the hardest basset I've ever trained. In our case, we can't get him to pee outside, ever. He has never once peed on a blade of grass, a tree, bush or even a fire hydrant. We'll take him on an hour long walk, and he'll hold it until he gets inside. Just nutty.

·
Registered
972 Posts
catherine..have you tried one of those scent stakes, or sprays? even have a friend's dog come over and pee. maybe that would hold his interest in the back yard!
It's weird, bowser just woke up one day and understood he needed to go outside. he was about 7.5 months when he figured it out. He still thinks he has to pee out the front at night though. so weird *lol*

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've had bassets that literally house trained themselves, but not this one. He won't even pee in places where other neighborhood dogs have marked. That is just so weird.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ollie is doing good with his potty training, not great but hes getting there. He actually ran to the door the other day and scratched at it to let his "stupid" father know to take him out. Ollie goes out when we get up in the morning, when he drinks like a gallon of water and after eating breakfast and dinner we get a walk to "ease his pains."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts