Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 8 weeks old Basset Hound puppy names Milo. We have been crating him at night for 3 days since we got him and let him out every 3 hrs for potty brake at night. He did not pee inside the crate. However after potty, putting him back into the crate was not easy, he cry, scream and bark so loud for 20-30 min non-stop until he falls asleep again. I understood we have to do it in order for the puppy to learn to hold the pee and poop.

However, we don't think we should crate him during the day time so we let him room around the whole house but we still take him out every 2-3 hours for potty break outside. OMG!!! he pees everywhere despite of taking him out for potty every 2-3 hours. After he pees outside and 5 min later he pees again inside. We cannot watch/monitor him 100% because he is rooming around chewing everything and peeing everywhere. I'm exhausted. I can't work with this puppy running round peeing and chewing everything the same time he has been in crate all night long that I don't think it it right to crate again during the day time. My husband is totally against to crate him during the day time. Any suggestion will be apricated. The only time he will not peeing or chewing if I'm holding him. I ordered one of those portable play pen from Amazon. I was thinking of setting up next to my desk so he can see me but I'm not sure he will be crying and barking because he was somewhat constrained? The only time I can get some work done is when he is sleeping during the day time.

Tami

·
Registered
13,155 Posts
OMG!!! he pees everywhere despite of taking him out for potty every 2-3 hours. After he pees outside and 5 min later he pees again inside. We cannot watch/monitor him 100% because he is rooming around chewing everything and peeing everywhere. I'm exhausted. I can't work with this puppy running round peeing and chewing everything the same time he has been in crate all night long that I don't think it it right to crate again during the day time. My husband is totally against to crate him during the day time. A

Tami
see ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Housetraining Your Puppy it will explain your problem succinctly.
"Do not rely on a puppy to tell you when it's time to go out. That is expecting too much responsibility and communication at too early an age. It is up to you, the adult human, to know when he needs to go out. Watch his activity level and the clock.

A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners."

cut the times in 1/2 for A Basset hound. when you can not strictly supervises the confine the dog to a small space that is safe and easy to clean, such as a bathroom or use an x-pen FRISCO Dog & Small Pet Wire Exercise Pen with Step-Through Door, Black, 36-in - Chewy.com When we us an x-pen we put a crate inside to provide a plkace for the dog to sleep the door is left open. Keeping in mind that any accident helps creates a substrate preference for inside flooring. and using pee pads, litter box etc does the same thing but sometime that convenience is worth the delay before they are truely house trained. \

each litter of puppies now we Litter train the puppies which can make a big difference

1 - 2 of 2 Posts