Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Our Rosie was spayed last Tuesday, and she did just fine! :) My question is: how do I take care of her incision? Our vet didn't give specific instructions about it other than to restrict her activity until the stitches come out (next week). She has not bothered the incision area until this morning, when she was licking it (it has to be itchy!) Should I clean it with anything? I thought about dabbing it with alcohol but worried that it might sting. She doesn't appear to be in any discomfort and the incision isn't inflamed or anything. Should I just not worry about it unless it looks like it's infected?
Also, when do you think she can run off leash again? She's dying to get back in our backyard and chase her frisbee!

Thanks everybody.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
As long as it looks clean and not inflamed it should be fine. I'd keep her on leash until the stitches are out (10-14 days). If they're the dissolving kind, keep and eye on them anyways, I've lost count of the number of times I've groomed a dog with old stitches and the owner telling me they shouldn't be there because they're the dissolving kind. Well, sometimes they don't dissolve.

[ September 26, 2005, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Soundtrack ]

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here's what my vet told me..
1. Do not bath her

2. Look at the stitches for signs of redness or fluid leaks or heat. If you find any of the 3 go back to see your vet

3. NO jumps, games or races

4. Slow walks and stairs are ok

You can put alcohol on the stitches but honestly I wouldn't. Be careful that she doesn't lick them too much, if she does you might need an Elizabethian (spelling?) collar.

Hope this helps :)

Lou

1 - 3 of 3 Posts