Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riley is 3 and weighs 55 pounds and Daisy is 9 and weighs 60 pounds. They get various small treats throughout the day (mostly just when they go to pee) and I might give each one a Beggin strip at some point.

I only feed them once a day around 6pm.
They EACH get 9 ounces of dry- weight management Beneful -and 6 ounces of Purina weight management chicken and rice in a can.

They gobble it up and then check each others bowl to see if they can find a stray morsel, then always seem still very hungry.

I started the weight mgmt stuff because she was 70 pounds and overweight and she has lost 10 pounds and now she looks great. It took over a year to lose the 10 pounds which sounds reasonable to me.

I did the weight test and they dont have the excess fat...

My concern is Riley. I just dont think he is getting enough. Should I increase the dry food for him?

As far as exercise- I take them to the dog park every day. He runs and plays hard for an hour. she does not leave my side even for a minute.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi, I have always read that a basset should have 2 meals per day rather than 1 as they are prone to bloat.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I used to feed one meal per day also and found that Annie would get sick very often, not sure why but I am sure it was my fault. She gets two meals per day now, I now it's hard when you're working and stuff to find time to feed twice, but I think it would benefit both dogs if you could make it work.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
My concern is Riley. I just dont think he is
on a body condition scale is he below a 4 if so feed more if between a 4-5 then that is what you want

keep in mind most owner thing teire dog wighs in terms of body condition than it does. even using tools like a body condition chart

Understanding your Dog's Body Condition

Corpulent Canines?

[qoute]People don't know how to determine the correct weight for their dogs. Dogs vary in height, bone structure, and muscularity, so there is no one correct weight for a dog of any given breed. The best way to determine whether a dog is overweight is to test 3 different parts of the body: the neck, the ribs, and the hips.

1. <LI type=a>To check the neck, press your thumb and index finger deep into the side of the neck just ahead of the shoulder, and pinch them together. If your fingers are more than 1/2" apart, the dog is overweight. (Note: this is where old dogs tend to carry most of their excess fat, and they may actually be thin in other locations.) <LI type=a>To check the ribs, stand with your dog beside you, facing his butt. Place your thumb on the middle of his spine half way down the back and spread your fingers out over his last few ribs. Then run your fingers up and down along his skin. You should be able to feel the bumps of his ribs without pressing in.
  2. To check the hips, run your hand over your dog's croup. You should be able to feel the bumps of his two pelvic bones without pressing down.
Some of you may be reading this and thinking, "I would never want my dog to be that skinny!" Think about the Olympic athletes. If you want your dog to be an athlete then it is only fair that you do what you can to help him achieve the body that he will need to perform and stay healthy and injury free for many years.[/quote]

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
If they are in good weight and condition, I wouldn't worry too much.

However, much as I try to avoid being a "food snob", with what you are feeding it is quite possible that they are getting enough calories, but not enough nutrition, which could result in hunger. You might want to look into canine nutrition and consider other possibilities.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
which could result in hunger
That said I thend to qustion the genetic of any basset that is of idea weight and not hungry INHO part of preeding for hunting persisten in all scent hound has led to a very muted to non-existent full sensation.

That said i am not big on weight management diet which tent to be low protein and fat and high carbs I thing in general it is better to feed less of a normal type dog food.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
In other words putting them on a better dog food would probably satisfy them more you can still use weight loss or management just get a more nutritional brand.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My girl is 3 and weighs about 40lbs. My vet says her weight is normal.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i am always feeding dogs. Bowser is 1.5 and weighs about 50lbs...though he really seems to stick around 47. I feed him two whole cups a day, spread out into 4 feedings. If he goes more than about 4-5 hours without food, he throws up. Always has. We used to have Daisy, our beagle, on breakfast, lunch and dinner (she was babysat during the day by my mother-in-law, and she started that feeding cycle). But bowser would get to the end of the day, or sometimes in the middle of it and barff. So, we do it this way and he's been doing great.
We had him on california natural for a long time, and i noticed he pooped after every meal. We have him on nature's recepie now, and he only poops twice a day. Same 2 cups of food, but way less poop, and way better breath!
Anyway i digress.
My point is, Daisy get's a cup of food a day, spread out, and bowser gets 2, so yes it's fair to assume that each dog can handle a different amount of food per their exercise and metabolism.
Daisy gains weight very easily, whereas bowser never gains!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would also look into an upgrade on the brand of food they are eating. Those brands contain alot of fillers and sugar are they on weight management food because they were once overweight? I also would feed at least 2x daily with working 2 is more manageable.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi, I have always read that a basset should have 2 meals per day rather than 1 as they are prone to bloat.
That's what I thought! We have always fed ours twice a day and it gives them two meal times to look forward to as well as splitting it into two meals. I would hate all my food for a day at one sitting!! Also, I wonder if they're getting enough protein and nutrition if they're still hungry!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would love to give them a better brand, but its tough to do that right now. We used to cook for them! lol. We made them big pots of chicken and rice on Sunday and they had a bowl of that every evening but we had to stop that madness! I forgot to mention that I mix in a can of green beans with their kibble. They love the french green beans :) I am not sure I can feed them in the morning since I am not home to let them out during the day. I think I might increase the dry food a little bit and see if that helps. I will just keep a close eye on the weight I guess...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
I am not sure I can feed them in the morning since I am not home to let them out during the day
the act of eating spurns the need to deficate my go shortly after eating Feed slighly earlier and then let them out before you leave is not likely to cause a prblem

that said feed twice or more times a day does not require feeding in the morining. Feed when you come home and shortly before going to bed etc is a means of feeding twice while you are still home.

I would love to give them a better brand
the quality of the food is not necisarily tied to the price on the bag a lot of high end super preimium dog food companies spend more on marketing than they do on what goes in the back and many local brand store brand and brand dedicated to hunting have high quality ingredient at a substntial lower price.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Just one note about bloat study and the number of times a dog is fed. there is no corrolation with the number of times fed and bloat. Feeding twice aday is no better than feeding once a day.

however there is a big corrolation with the size of the meal. ie smaller is less risk. so if you split meal in half and feed two times a day the risk is reduced. It isd because of from the smaller meal size not how often fed. If you can find a food for instance with twice the calories per cup of the current food (this info is on the bag) then you would feed half as much and have the same effect on bloat risk as feed twice a day.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
If you have a Costco membership (or know someone who does), their Kirkland Signature brand is pretty inexpensive. I think it's probably cheaper than the Beneful, and much better quality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts