Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A pea sized lump on sophie's right shoulder area has grown rather rapidly (days) and is now quite large. Itching and bleeding. Discovered another pea sized one on right rear flank.

Calling vet in a.m. Most concerning.....thinking mast cell

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Let's hope this is just fatty cysts - some Bassets seem to suffer with these more than others. We had one who, initially, we'd have some taken off (usually only if they did become large and in a difficult place) but eventually we learnt to leave alone. None was a nasty but there is always that possibility so depending on the advice of your vet, it's a good idea to have the lump tested. Strangely much as she favoured 'my line', this was a pretty much complete outcross mating and interestingly, perhaps, her brother who favoured his sire, never had one. But very sadly the one I did find on his neck, turned out to be lymphoma. He was in his 13th year at the time however.

Try not to worry unduly (and keep off the Internet which may well take you down the completely wrong road!) at least not until you have a diagnosis about what's going on. :D

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
mast cell is usually very treatable with surgery alone as long as it has not metastasized.

fwiw

Mariah's Mast cell surgery in a similar spot at age 6-7 live another seven year with no other treatment.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. had a beagle with mast cell treated surgically and lived another 6 years.

back from vet this am. the one by the flank shows no mast cells. suspect benign cyst.

the large angry one on the shoulder is grossly infected. The aspirate did not show mast cells but vet said can't be certain until infection is cleared up.

Antibiotic to try to shrink then reevaluate then surgery.

@MikeyT that's just where sophie's is.

@Franksmum lol. I have already taken it down the worst case scenario path. Back on course now depending upon response to the antibiotic. thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts