Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My basset is 11 and a half years old and she has 4 swollen lymph nodes. We are waiting on results of whether it is a systemic infection or lymphoma. We live in Phoenix and with the haboobs we have had it is not outside the realm of possibility she has Valley Fever. That being said, I have the worst feeling that she has lymphoma. My question to the board is how long without chemo is a realistic timeline. I know the technical responses but I am looking fo people's actual experience. The 4-6 week timeline is just not something I can process at this time so yes I am desperate for a longer timeline. My hands can'tstop shaking as I type this because I am such a wreck. I know others will feel my pain so I am asking for some help. If I'm in denial so be it and I will deal with that when I have to but I need some hope longer than a damn month. I have not ruled out chemo but do not know how much it will cost and I will try if I can but I just don't know. I'm scared and sad.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Wow, so sorry to hear about this. we will hope, hope too, that it's not lymphoma, yet also recognizing that it's unfortunately very possible in a baset this age.

we don't have the answers to your ??s being new basset owners ourselves, but please feel free to vent here anytime. we would love to hear more about your basset and your life together, if you feel like sharing...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear about your basset's possible lymphoma diagnosis. I understand exactly how devastating it is to get this kind of news, as I will never forget the day we were blindsided by my Scully hound's lymphoma diagnosis. Hopefully, for your baby, it is NOT lymphoma though.

I do not have any actual experience regarding a timeline without chemo, but we were told roughly the same thing as you were. We did choose to do chemo with Scully, who was 10 and a half years old at the time, and we had close to an extra year with her--8 and half months of which she was in remission. We felt that was the best decision for her, and I am very glad that we went that route, as she tolerated it very well, continuing to have a good quality of life until the cancer returned. Every dog and every situation is different though, so what may be right for one is not necessarily the best for another.

Please let us know when you find out the test results. Sending good thoughts for you both.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Bubba with lymphosarcoma in his liver and intestines lived for 7 months after diagnosis on chemo meds that are far less expensive than chemo and he had good quality of life up to the end. Grace had lymphoma lived barely a month on chemo meds( same as Bubba) It is hard to tell how long ,it depends on the dog ,on the cancer,and on what kind of treatment you put him on, if any. Bubba was 3 his youth may have helped him go longer.Grace was 8. I wasn't ready to let them go either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am sure you are sick with worry. I'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers that isn't the diagnosis. I do know that each & every dog tolerates treatment differently. When you get a definite diagnosis then you can meet with an oncologist and get the information you need. Let's hope that isn't the case. Slinging drool your way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 12 years old Harley is diagnosed with Mast Cell Tumor early this year, he is on meds (Steroid) only. Cancer cells already spread to lymph already. I totally understand how you feel now.
Just be positive and make your dog happy, enjoy every moment you spend with her.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank all of you so much. I am spending as much time as I can with her. She's already spoiled but getting even more love. She's in a great mood and am trying hard not to let that break my heart. If I can get figure it out I will attach a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You can't spoil them too much. Ok, you can, but sometimes you've just got to.

She is a very pretty girl.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So very sorry to hear of Molly's enlarged nodes. My boy who was 11 at diagnosis lived 4+ months without chemo. I found enlarged lymph nodes in his neck and thought it was from an ear infection he had, but with research when the vet found others enlarged at his visit for needle aspirations my heart sank. I decided against chemo for a variety of reasons, and did not regret it. He disliked the vets and was a nervous guy with a touchy stomach. I tried to take the "Carpe diem" approach, and I spent as much quality time together with him as I could. We did use prednisone in his last 2 months when he became symptomatic. Very difficult to watch him lose weight and at times he had some significant facial swelling. His last day he spiked a temperature, was visibly uncomfortable, and began vomiting and then I had to make one of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to do. He was my first basset and very much my heartdog. There is a yahoo group lymphomaheartdogs that has a wealth of info. regarding chemo and the lymphoma battle. I will pray for you and Molly it is not lymphoma. Please let us know what you find out.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the news we all knew came in last night. My Molly has high grade lymphoma. I have chosen the prednisone and one of the chemo drugs. Even with more aggressive treatment it would only buy me maybe one more month with my hound. Plus she would have to spend one day a month at the vet. I have had to leave her overnight two nights before. One was to have teeth removed and the other was when she ate 4 pounds of uncooked bacon. As we all know just because their legs are short doesn't mean they can't reach the counter! Both times she was very unhappy I would leave her and I refuse to do that to her and me for a lousy extra month or two. I alternate between incredible sadness and denial. She seems so healthy and happy it is hard to reconcile what will be happening in the coming months. Thank you all so much, your words and thoughts have meant a lot to us. I will need the support of fellow basset lovers and will continue to post updates. Molly keeps licking my tears off my face which only makes them come more, time to take a nap with her and start the dreaded process all dog lovers know. At least I have time to spend with her, not everyone is so lucky.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I am so very sorry that it is bad news. Please do keep us updated; even though we can't do anything physically, we will encourage and support you best we can.

Hugs and drool to both of you during this very trying time.

4 POUNDS of bacon? My goodness, lol!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The great bacon incident happened at Christmas. We always make bacon wrapped jalepeno poppers for an annual Christmas Eve party. We had just returned from Costco and were unloading all the items from the car. During that time, Molly the most patient thief figured that was an oppurtune time to steal something and she chose the bacon. We found the wrapper in the yard. Within a day or two we realized she had more than just a belly ache and took her to the vet. We ended up having to return to the vet because she was not getting better and they kept her overnight. We almost lost her then and coming up with $1500 at Christmas was a trick but we did it. We didn't take her to the vet right away because previously she had stolen an uncooked Costco pizza and was just fine besides a belly ache. She as most Bassets I assume are very tricky animals and great thieves! Thank you, telling this story has helped me laugh.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You should start writing down all those naughty, fun things that Molly has done. Then at some future date, I think it could be a comfort to you. Don't dwell on what is coming up, but on her life now; I know, it is easier said than done, go ahead and cry but don't forget to smile and laugh, too.

My naughty dog watched my son eating snack cakes this evening, and when son lowered his guard, Boomer jumped up and grabbed one and ate it. It caught everyone so off-guard, we just all started laughing.

All of us basset lovers are here for you, and we feel your pain and want to help you through it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So very sorry Molly has the diagnosis of lymphoma, I have been checking back to see what happened.......I had terrible anticipatory grief, but tried to remember to focus on being positive and upbeat for my boy. I think that helps them they are so in tune with our emotions. Spoil Molly rotten & enjoy her while she is feeling great. I too had much denial as well when he was well, actually emailing the vet pathologist who read Bentley's slides and having a PCR test to re-confirm (which was negative and later came to find out it has a high false negative rate grr). You can always share your feelings and questions here, as sometimes people don't understand how difficult this is. I know all too well. :(

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Sorry you are sick, Molly :(
methinks your owner is sad.

we hope you'll think about having your owner tell us more stories about u and post more pics, too...

in my book, i'd like you to teach me how ya got four pounds of bacon! maybe i should ask my person to make those jalapeno poppers.... mmmm, sounds delicious and it's making me hungry.
--your pal, Worm

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I’m soooooo sorry to hear about the results you received on Molly. My heart breaks for you and makes me physically sick. I read it the day you posted and I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to let you know you’re in my thoughts and prayers with every step you take with her. I just lost my baby girl Flasher three weeks and four days ago and a day doesn’t go by that I don’t cry my eyes out. The day I read your update I had to just close my computer and stay way.

I wanted to let you know that since reading about Molly and especially since your last update, everyday all day that I think of my girl I lost – I say prayers that Molly will be pain free and enjoy all that she loves in life for the last days of her journey with you and that you will have the strength to be there for her. You have a GREAT support group here on this site – and they will help you every step of the way as they did for me I’m sure.

I’m sorry that I’m just not strong enough to post here again. My wounds are too open to read any further. I’ve sent you my personal E-mail address and if you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to let me know. You just tell Molly when it’s her time – to look for my Flasher – she’ll take good care of her as she did me for the 11 years I was blessed to have her in my life. God I miss her so much.

Jen~

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am savoring all my moments and cementing in my memory the parts I love most about my Molly that pictures cannot capture. I love the smell of her head and how she purrs when you pet her and how she complains when you don't. I pet her all the time so I don't forget how soft she is. I thought her softness was just a puppy thing and never imagined she would be so soft all her life. She is my first Basset and didn't know how talkative they are and with so much attitude! I don't want to do this and feel silly for even typing that because who does after all? I take naps with her and do my best to stay upbeat but she knows I am sad, she always has known when people are sad. She had her first chemo pill on Saturday and handled it just fine. I wish I handled it so well, I had the worst anxiety the night before and in the morning. Anyway... I shall provide updates and am so thankful people are willing to help me and care about my Molly too.

Worm-
I believe I am very pretty too as my person tells me often but she also calls me vain! You are a handsome hound and I feel the younger generation should know my tricks to the bounty our people have! The first of my secrets is patience. The people forget and become distracted, as soon as they do strike! I shall give more tricks soon. I hope you like older ladies.
My person is sad, her face tastes of the salt and no matter how much I clean her the salt taste remains. I lay by her and help her feel better because that is my job. She loves me and I love her.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I cry along with you as I type this, knowing how hard this is. Bentley dried many a tear on my cheeks as well :'( I would lay on his bed after he passed as it still had that lovely hound smell and the t-shirt I covered him up with to keep him warm when he was losing weight I still haven't managed to wash it. Hugs to you and Ms. Molly......I'm glad to hear she is doing OK with her medicine.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hiya Molly,

U r so nice to your person, ya really make her feel bettah, ya know?

I appreciate the words of wisdom and would love to hear other hound wisdom ya might have. or just silly stories, i like those too. Patience, hmmm, they say it's a virtue and i know why.... it' so hard!!!

oh yes, thanks for the compliments, and i like older hounds too ;) they are smart and often have lotsa humor.

thanks for the pics. looks like u r resting a lot. say, do ya think ur Momma will spoil u with all-u-can eat bacon? just wondrin'. what r ur favorite foods?
--Worm

1 - 20 of 37 Posts